more space

View previous topic View next topic Go down

more space

Post by mouseman on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 am

my mouse is in a ten gallon tank, which i mean is fine but i'd like to give him more space. Does anyone know of good tank toppers? Or, his lid has tube holes for a tube attachment that i dont use in fear that my cat would pop it open, if i used them as a way into a bin cage on top of the tank it would probably not have decent ventilation on the bottom tank would it? I just want to give him some more space upwards, he loves to climb and be up high. Is there a way to make a second level Inside the tank?
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: more space

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 am

We usually recommend against tank toppers here. It's harder to get to the bottom of the tank, it's harder to access the mice, bar spacing is an issue, and many mice don't even like them. But if you wanna give your mouse more space, it's easy to do! Just get him a bigger tank. Both a 20gal high and a 20gal long are great sizes for mice. 20gal highs are easier to maintain because they're smaller with added height, but 20 longs are wonderfully spacious.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 am

I hated my store bought tank topper. Their weight, the ramps, and not being able to reach the floor easily just made it more trouble than it was worth.
If you're up to building, there are tutorials about how to make your own topper. I made one on top of my boy's 10 gallon lid out of hardware cloth/wire mesh and he absolutely loves it! Because it's on top of a lid, it's easy to secure with regular lid clips and easy to lift on and off.

I wouldn't recommend attaching tubes to a bin for a few reasons... Mice don't usually enjoy having that sort of split up space, sometimes mice can get scared climbing up or down the tubes and then get stuck, the ventilation and cleaning is a hassle, and if they're not completely secured the mouse will escape/the cat will knock it down and then the cat will get your mouse. Unfortunately I experienced that first hand about six years ago.

In the DIY section there's a tutorial about how to make a box shelf. You can build it so there's a few inches between the shelf and the lid and still usable space underneath. I made one for my girls and they really, really enjoyed it.
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:We usually recommend against tank toppers here. It's harder to get to the bottom of the tank, it's harder to access the mice, bar spacing is an issue, and many mice don't even like them. But if you wanna give your mouse more space, it's easy to do! Just get him a bigger tank. Both a 20gal high and a 20gal long are great sizes for mice. 20gal highs are easier to maintain because they're smaller with added height, but 20 longs are wonderfully spacious.

Don't forget the option of a 29g: it's the same footprint as a 20L (30Lx12W) but is 18"H instead of 12". Lots of climbing space to furnish with hanging coconuts, ropes, ladders, tiered cardboard boxes, etc.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:48 pm

I'd love to get the 20 gallon long or the 29 gallon, but the reason i was hoping to go up was because i can't make any more space for something longer at this time. I might look into a 20 gallon high but at the same time if i buy something new i'd like more floor space, i feel like there could 100% be more room to put cool things in his cage. Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I might just have to wait it out until I clear space for a larger tank. I also took a look around at some cages (appropriately sized of course) but i don't like the idea of him being able to toss his bedding everywhere because I could bet money that he absolutely would. The only one I found that I liked had a super shallow base pan and I don't think I'm up for that right now anyway. Guess the ten gallon is where he stays for now, I'll see if i can add some levels for him to climb in the meantime inside the tank
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top