Has anyone successfully used a modified storage bin for their mouse house?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone successfully used a modified storage bin for their mouse house?

Post by Soren on Tue May 03, 2016 12:03 pm

I see it as one of the cheaper/spacious options. And I would like to try building one. But i read that mice can chew out of the soft plastic, so I want your feed back. Have you used one to house your mice? If so, did they chew out? How long did it take? Was the plastic toxic? Or was it successful solution?
What brand did you use?
Did you use hot glue?
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone successfully used a modified storage bin for their mouse house?

Post by Peachy on Tue May 03, 2016 12:44 pm

My mice have lived in a few different storage bins, and only one boy tried to chew out. He probably wouldn't have been able to, but I made a hole in the wall to prop his bottle from the outside, and over a few weeks he made the hole bigger. I'm sure a determined mouse could have chewed it faster and escaped...

So if you make sure you don't poke any holes in the walls, and that the floors are flattish so mousey teeth won't be able to get a good chewing grip, I don't think you'd have any problems. Of course you'd want to watch out, just in case.

I've seen awesome hamster bin tutorials with side windows and stuff, but I never got that fancy so I don't know how well they work for mice. All I did was cut holes in the lids and attach wire mesh with zip ties. Razz
Peachy

Scorpio Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Wed May 04, 2016 6:04 pm

I've got 2 of my mice in storage bins right now. And have used them off and on for a few years.

I've never had any problem with chewing at all and can't imagine a domesticated mouse chewing out of it unless it really really really really wanted to but the bins i have used are thick plastic and were around 20 american dollars each. I do have some really thin plastic bins i use for storage that are cheaper, i could imagine a mouse getting through those. I think though, if you get a quality bin a mouse won't be chewing through it. You could try keeping it on top a dresser or something so you could be extra safe the first few days if that is a concern.

I am not sure what brands i am using, they aren't toxic though. They have little numbers on the bottom of them that you can look up on google that tell you what they are made of and their potential health concerns. Glass is safer there is no doubt, my least troublesome one is in glass!, but plastic can be way more spacious and easy to move around and can be kind of fun to fill a big giant bin with tons of toys, assuming your mouse likes that space.

I think it's best to make sure they are tamed in a smaller 10 gallon glass tank first anyways, as too much space too soon can overwhelm some mice. I wouldn't put a new mouse in a giant bin unless i had to.

I didn't use any glue to make my bin. I used a heated up knife to cut holes in the lid and in the sides to make sure there was extra ventilation. I then spent a long time making sure to get out all the plastic bits as cooked plastic is not very healthy.
I am not sure of your age, but regardless of your age cutting plastic with a hot knife is dangerous and you need to make sure the room you are in is well ventilated as the fumes from burning plastic are toxic even if the plastic itself isn't and they are also invisible.

When you first buy the bin you will need to look for ones that aren't stinky as some new plastics are very stinky (that's bad, it means they leak chemicals) and regardless of what bin you get you will need to wash it out first and perhaps even let it sit for a few days so the chemicals leak out and you can re-wash it. Any bin you find, will have some smell because virtually all plastics do but i just mean try and stay away from extra stinky ones.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I have only had my mice about a month but purposefully did not choose to use storage bins because I feel like they should be able to see it out and enjoy their surroundings. Even the 'clear' ones I've found are really opaque. My talker says something to me every time I walk by. He'll be totally silent, then I'll get up and walk past his cage and suddenly he's chattering. So I get to bend down and say hi and ask him what's up and he gives me a sweet look and then I move on. It's also easier to notice when something's up, like if they're low on food or if someone is climbing dangerously high on something etc.

boofandkara
User Removed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by despereaux on Sun May 08, 2016 6:18 pm

My mice live in a bin. They're pretty voracious chewers but they've yet to even try to chew their way out in the month or so they've been living in it. I didn't use hot glue or anything like that. I actually just leave the top off and make sure the toys aren't tall with they can climb out. I've yet to have any problems with it! If you're worried they might escape you can put the bin in the tub with a towel over the drain. Then if they do get out they're still in a safe space. Good luck! Smile
despereaux
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun May 08, 2016 6:43 pm

@despereaux wrote:I actually just leave the top off and make sure the toys aren't tall with they can climb out.

I don't exactly have much experience with bin cages, but leaving the top off seems unnecessarily risky. Even if their toys aren't tall, you should never underestimate a mouse's ability to jump. You'd never think it until you see it, but mice can jump extraordinarily high when they want to get somewhere. Even if you have your bin in a bathtub where they couldn't get anywhere, the mouse would still be unable to reach their food and water, and mice shouldn't even be away from a water source for over half an hour.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Upendiparrot on Mon May 09, 2016 10:42 pm

My girls had lived in a bin their whole lives (except for that one month in a crittertrail), no problem. In my opinion, it's a lot easier to move around, and cheaper! I went for a 16 gallon bin and it had round-ish corners on the bottom. Pretty much like a translucent, light tank with more pros than cons IMO. Unless you have a chewer...

Quick tip: use a water bottle hanger instead of drilling a hole should you consider a bin cage. They could chew out, and you don't get to move the bottle once you pick the spot.

Aquarius Stressed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top