Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Tank Top

3 posters

Go down

DIY Tank Top Empty DIY Tank Top

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Wed 04 Jan 2017, 1:06 pm

So, I finally got the girls a 20 gal yesterday, but they didn't have any tops in stock. So we had the choice of waiting for them to get a new shipment, having one sent to the house and not arrive by next week etc. So we chose to go to the hardware store and grab some wire screening. We then covered the edges in duct tape because they were super sharp, then cut the corners so they would fold over the tank. It is working out great so far, the only problems being that it is a little hard to take on and off but thats also a plus that it fits so snuggly. It was relatively fast to make (45-60 minutes) and only costed about 4 dollars compared to the outlandish prices they charge for tops!

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

DIY Tank Top Empty Re: DIY Tank Top

Post by Peachy Wed 04 Jan 2017, 1:13 pm

Congrats on the upgrade! I've done that with my 20H and my 29 gallon tanks and then made a door so I could reach in without having to take the whole lid off. If you don't want to get your arm caught on the mesh you'll have to ziptie some popsicle sticks over the edges, but otherwise it's really nice!!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 04 Jan 2017, 3:28 pm

I did that once before as a temporary solution until I could order a lid. Honestly, I was glad to be able to change to the lid. It was just a pain in the butt. For me, anyway. Pardon

The reptile lids do go on sale pretty regularly though. This is the one I ended up buying. http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/petco-heat-resistant-screen-top

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum