Help!? (cont. in new forum)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Help!? (cont. in new forum)

Post by Ash on Wed 04 May 2016, 8:14 am

(old forum http://forum.thefunmouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=139076)

Long story short, I might be having three litters all at once when I had no intentions of breeding. Crying or Very sad

Moving on, the new mouse has (once I got home and saw what happened) been removed from the group and has his own cage now. He IS very sweet and friendly.

I was suggested to prepare cages for the possibility of having three litters at the end of the month.
I have heard both to have the females separate, and to keep them together; Does anybody know which is better? (My three females were kept together since they were weanlings, or are all three from the same litter)

Is there anything specific that I should know or be reading about mouse pregnancy/birth that isn't already in this forum?
(I still consider myself new to Mice, but when I was younger I bred hamsters)
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help!? (cont. in new forum)

Post by Mouseketeers on Wed 04 May 2016, 8:35 am

I think I am in the minority on the topic of separating pregnant females. I have kept pregnant does in with their original cage mates, alone and with a nanny. My preferred method is keeping a doe in her original tank. Meaning I don't move her out at all. However it isn't something I do every time or even most of the time, or half as much as I would like.

We can drastically reduce, limit and control the majority of bad scenarios that can happen during a pregnancy by keeping a doe on her own during the final stages of her pregnancy and while she is nursing. It is that simple. It doesn't mean that there are no other ways, or that we can eliminate every risk. But it does give us a lot more control.
If you have three pregnant does all due around the same time, I would push pretty strongly on setting up three separate tanks. There are so many unknowns in this scenario that it would be impossible to even guess at how it would go. Things like, older / younger litters, one doe taking on the main role as feeder ( super hard on one doe to feed three litters ). Would be my main concerns. Even if one doe births 24-48 hours later than the first doe. The older pinkies are going to be big enough to take up the majority of the milk.

Going off your post dates it seems like you are in the early days still. I wouldn't panic about separating them just yet. Mark the date the buck was first introduced on your calendar and keep an eye on your girls. In a week or so it wouldn't hurt to up their protein intake slightly just in case ( doing so gradually ). Otherwise it is mousey life as per normal for the next week or so. If you have a set of scales then weighing them today and tracking every couple of days / 24 hours later on could help determine if they are indeed pregnant.
Mouseketeers
Sr Member
Sr Member

Relaxed

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/mymouseketeers/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Wed 04 May 2016, 9:35 am

I've been setting up their new cages getting ready for them later on.

I have to find my scale, but once I find it I'll start weighing them.
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 04 May 2016, 11:23 am

It might also be wise to start thinking about what to do with the babies once they grow up.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Wed 04 May 2016, 11:51 am

Almost all the pet places that I would sell my hamsters to are still in business, so I'll probably get in contact with them.

(I would sell them myself, and then any that I still had 4-6 weeks after weaning would go to those places because the store front is easier to sell)

But, also I do have a bunch of old cages, so I'll probably keep ones I have room for. don't mind me and my (possible/probable) small army of mice Lol Sign
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren on Wed 04 May 2016, 12:25 pm

I've never housed two moms at the same time (since I've never had more than one pregnant mouse at the same time) so I am unsure what would happen. I've had nannies though! I would separate them if you've are unsure how each mommy will react to sharing a nursery. Three may be too chaotic/stressful. But I don't know for sure.
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed 04 May 2016, 1:22 pm

Yikes! That could be a whole lot of babies Smile

We would recommend having each mom set up in their own 10g tanks. Keeping them together is perfectly fine for right now. It sounds like you've read over all the information on this site already and I'm sure you've started your pregnancy day count already.

Let us know if you have any specific questions. I just got a tiny little mouse from the feeder tank at the pet store, and it didn't even occur to me that she could be pregnant. I always forget that part when I get them from the pet store!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Wed 04 May 2016, 2:58 pm

It has been about a day and a half now since finding out about the whole ordeal. I am starting to calm down a bit, but am still really anxious and nervous..

My girls are only 9.5-10ish weeks old..
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Wed 04 May 2016, 3:00 pm

I don't even know what to think about the fact that I could be having 20-30+ additional mice..
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Wed 04 May 2016, 4:35 pm

Hey, what are these "cages"? The problem is, a barred cage can be dangerous to keep baby mice in because they can fit through the bars. Just a thought Wink

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Wed 04 May 2016, 4:37 pm

@Artistwolf wrote:Hey, what are these "cages"? The problem is, a barred cage can be dangerous to keep baby mice in because they can fit through the bars. Just a thought Wink

I do have barred cages, but for the mice I'm talking about tank cages.
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Wed 04 May 2016, 4:42 pm

Oh, all right, just making sure Smile
(Ugh autocorrect needs to stop correcting "Oh" to "OH". It's not helping me.)

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Thu 12 May 2016, 3:52 pm

Just an update:

As of my calculations if they are going to have a litter they are due approximately 18-22 of May.

As of right now:
Calli has gotten very chubby, and she appears to be showing a little bit of baby bump?!
Mouse has gotten a little bigger and her teats/nipples (I don't know which term you use for mice) are prominent and visible.
PippenSqueaken is a very sleak and slender mouse as always, so either she isn't pregnant or it's just something I can't see yet.
And
Inigo Montoya is enjoying his bachelor pad, has become a world class wheel runner (from seemingly not knowing what a wheel was) and loves to climb through tubes
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu 12 May 2016, 4:53 pm

Ooh hopefully not all three of them are pregnant then. Even if two of them are, should be more manageable than three litters.

Nice to hear your boy is settling in well. World class wheel runner made me laugh Laughing

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash on Mon 16 May 2016, 3:40 pm

Update:
- Calli is getting bigger and bigger! she is getting to the "golf ball" looking size. Her behavior has changed to pretty much staying in her nest that she built, compared to normal when she comes to greet me. and her mammary glands look enlarged, so she is definitely getting milk ready! first noticed that about 30-48 hours ago, and it has gotten more engorged over time(normal amount, but noticeable)
- Mouse is getting a pear shape going on, and is acting normal.
- Pip looks like she has a very tiny spare tire, so she might be preggers too... Worry

Something that I am not completely getting is if they were all together and in the cage with the male wouldn't they all be having the same due dates?
Can mice delay the time of inception like some animals?
Can mice be pregnant for longer than 18-21 days?
Ash
Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next