Old mice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old mice

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Holly has been with me 9 months already, and I assume she was already a month when I got her, making her about 10 months old. She is a poorly bred mouse that I got from PetCo, because I didn't know about how poorly they bred their mice then, and she has always been super tiny and never grew any bigger, I mean, Lilac isn't even full grown yet and Lilac is noticeably bigger than her. I kind of wonder if she was a runt. Anyways, my question is, she is probably going to start showing aging in a few months, and won't be as athletic as my other girls. How should you arrange a tank for an old mouse AND young mice together? I want the other girls to be able to have climbing toys and things still, but I don't want Holly to have to climb if she physically can't or just doesn't want to.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Old mice

Post by peas on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:00 am

As long as the water and the food and the main sleeping area is easy to access, i wouldn't worry about it.

It's pretty easy to build little ramps, cardboard can be slippery to an old mouse so lining the ramp with toilet paper can help greatly. Felt also works but some older mice can get their toes stuck if they aren't grooming as often.

The younger more active mice aren't going to mind ramps, just more stuff to jump off of.

One thing, is with older mice, you want to watch out for them falling. Don't build anything too high or physically hanging over the cage/tank, so if they do fall they don't fall outside the tank. Some Older mice have a tendency to fall off of stuff before they realize they are too old for climbing high up. Generally they learn pretty quickly not to climb.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:24 am

My older mice have stayed fairly active but when I noticed climbing wasn't as easy for them, I just built ramps to make an easier way up. I mostly used cardboard egg cartons to build ramps and they all managed these very well. The mice that still had an easy time getting around mostly ignored the ramps and jumped/climbed up other ways anyway.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Fine

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:12 pm

all my elderly mice still enjoyed climbing things. my mice that were over 2 years old, still loved climbing up into the hammocks even though her momma thought she shouldn't!

what i did, was after cage cleaning and tank set up, was to sit around for a while and watch them explore- making sure they could easily get everywhere. sometimes i would have to make minor adjustments if i saw someone struggle. but generally speaking, all my elderly mice did very well and enjoyed the challenges.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Splotchy, Sherberta, Eva, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sunshine
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top