New mouse owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New mouse owner

Post by Max7zero on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:21 pm

I know you guys will probably say it's not ethical but my cat got a mouse and since it had a bad limp and really bad storms where coming through that week I kept her. I did put her a good ways outside in the corn field but she came in a chewed in the box I had put her in and since she's pretty tame I gonna keep her. She's been eating rat food (I checked it fits mouse requirements). I've been looking at bin cages and saw the plastic drawer cage thingys for hamsters, would those be decent for a mouse. what to expect from a mouse pregnancy (she looks like a grey golf ball)? And any other mouse care?

Max7zero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New mouse owner

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Welcome! hello3

Check out this thread, there's a little info there on finding an injured wild adult mouse. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information Pretty much you can house her (a bin cage is fine) until she's healed and the weather has improved. A wild mouse has different nutritional needs than your average pet shop mouse - I believe they need more protein but I'm not 100% on that. It's often recommended to feed things like wild bird seed and feeder crickets or mealworms instead of commercial rodent foods when you're just nursing them back to health to release. There's info in that thread on where and how to release too. I do suggest reading it all and seriously consider releasing her when she's ready.

There's info about pregnancy and birth here, though obviously not all of that will pertain to a wild mouse (like handling them if you're planning to release).

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top