Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Mouse died, trying to figure out why?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mouse died, trying to figure out why?

Post by Rowan on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:25 am

Only a week after bringing her into my home Barry has passed Sad I found her this morning half out of her nest. I don't have enough mousey experience to know what killed her so I was hoping someone else might have an idea of what and whether it was contagious... When I look online all I find is respiratory infections, allergies, and wet tail. And I thought she just had an allergy.

Last night she wanted to climb on my hand if I put it in the cage at all and would not move off of it unless I moved her myself, she would just fidget around every now and then like she was trying to sleep. Which I thought was strange because I didn't think she would warm up to me so quickly to be able to sleep in my hand. But she stayed in my hand mostly still for a good half hour last night and only got off because I'd had to go do something. Upon close inspection she had slight fur loss on one side of her face as well as that eye being stuck closed with discharge.

She appeared to have no trouble breathing and made no strange noises so I don't believe it was a URI... I really thought she just had an allergy and I was going to pull sunflower seeds from her treats and things would be okay but I guess I was also expecting the worst because I didn't feel much at all finding her in the cage all cold like that :\

I use paper bedding and I clean with diluted white vinegar so I can't imagine it was related to bedding or fumes. It's alright if nobody has an idea, I'm just concerned for my little Yuri.

Rowan

Libra No Mood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mouse died, trying to figure out why?

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 am

I'm not sure myself. But if you want to find out, the absolute best thing you can do is take her body to the vet for a necropsy. The vet can investigate and try to determine the cause of death, and a vet is much more skilled at guessing a cause of death than any of us with our limited knowledge about Barry and her circumstances. I'm very sorry for your loss. If I had to take a guess, I would think that she came from the pet store with some sort of asymptomatic illness. But again, that is just a guess. A necropsy will reveal much more.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mouse died, trying to figure out why?

Post by Rowan on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:15 pm

That is true, thank you. I may end up taking her to a vet, or just bury her and keep a close eye on Yuri. I was just thinking maybe someone else here has had similar experience and would know what it was. I feel so bad for not holding her longer last night Sad She really didn't wanna leave my hand.

Rowan

Libra No Mood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top