Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Potential RI?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Potential RI?

Post by Opalesce on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Hey all,
I just purchased a young month-old buck yesterday, from a supposed mouse-breeder on Facebook. Their mice looked healthy and high quality, but after picking up my little guy, I don't think I'll be buying again for a few reasons. After I let him into his cage, he was absolutely parched and very hungry (he'd apparently been in a car all day, as they were from out of town), and the water bowl in his carry box was full of shavings.

Anyway- he's also quite sneezy (but not when he's resting) and makes little squeaking noises occasionally when he does. Last night he was very active around his cage, exploring and climbing, and is extremely tame. I think he slept most of the night (I believe I heard him up to rummage through his food bowl) as he had a very long day yesterday, but he was still in his tunnel this morning when I woke up. He's moving around and eating and drinking but I'm concerned. He's in a two-level cage with good ventilation, Eco-bedding that claims to be dust free, fresh water, a bit of carrot, and Vitakraft without peanuts and crushed corn.

His bedding at the breeder's was wood shavings- I don't know whether aspen or pine, so maybe he could just be allergic? He was also exposed to the cold briefly yesterday (maybe around -13 with windchill) and left in a car for I want to say about a half hour or more while the breeder was out doing errands. Sad Any help is appreciated, I hate to see him sneezy Sad

Edit: he's not scratching excessively at all, but the skin underneath his fur seems to be a bit red... is it possible he was allergic to the food the breeder weaned him onto?
Opalesce
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Caffeine Fix
1st Place -- February 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potential RI?

Post by stephlisa on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 pm

I can't say for sure about allergies or not as I'm not all that experienced, but there is a thing called "box shock" which is where your mouse may be sneezing for a little while due to being in a new place (despite the new bedding etc.)

If the squeaking noises are in time with his breathing then I would recommend getting him to the vet in case its a URI, but it could just be you have a talkative mouse. My mouse Colin is often noisy - squeaks and snuffles mainly - I took him to the vet when I first got him and was told he had nothing wrong and was just talkative. If you do have any concerns about URI though I believe its important to get it checked out - even if it turns out it isn't, its worth knowing!

I hope everything is okay with him, I'm sure someone with more experience will offer you more advice soon too. Give him lots of love - it sounds like he might need it!

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Sad
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Opalesce on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 pm

Thank you, Stephlisa! I've never heard of box shock but it seems likely, especially as he was in a completely different place all of yesterday as well. Luckily Edgar's not squeaking in time with his breathing, only just occasionally when he sneezes. I will continue to monitor him... in the meantime he's got a nice clean warm place to live, and I've moved him into a different room from my canary as I don't want to risk anything :s

Opalesce
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Caffeine Fix
1st Place -- February 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes, I can imagine it was a stressful day for Edgar - poor little guy! Hope he gets better soon Smile - the forum is always here if you need any more questions answered too!
(Slightly off-topic, but I do love the name Edgar, it reminds me of Edgar Balthazar from the Disney Aristocats film!)

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Sad
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top