What should I do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What should I do?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:08 am

So, I am on a list at the shelter and they will alert me if any female mice come in for adoption, and I also am checking Craigslist regularly for female mice, just in case some girls come along that need a home. In my pet room I currently have a 20 gallon long with 5 girls, 2 ten gallons, one is empty and one housing Rocky, and a 20 gallon high, which is housing Scout currently. If I end up adopting a group of 2-3 girls, would they be ok in the 10 gallon or should I swap tanks with Scout? My problem with swapping tanks is that Scout and Rocky would be about 2 feet away from each other, and I'm not sure if they'd both mark more or become stressed. I think a trio/pair would be fine with the amount of space in a ten gallon, but I'm thinking about how everything would fit. A saucer wheel would take up like half the tank and there wouldn't be much room left for a hide, toys, water bottle, etc. What are your experiences with mesh wheels and females? I prefer saucer wheels with groups because they can all run at once without getting hurt. Is there any way they could injure each other with a mesh wheel?

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: What should I do?

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:14 am

So, as much as I like to give my boys space...they are fine in a 10g, as are a trio of females. I have my new trio in a 10g and lil Smokey is in a 10g as well.

So with putting girls in a 10g, mesh wheels are great and they can all run at the same time if you get an 8" wheel. But if you want to use a saucer, you would just need to build a platform for it so they can use the space underneath it. I have never seen anyone get injured on a mesh wheel. I've seem some heads get bonked which disturbs me but I have also seen mice go flying off a saucer into the glass which is pretty awful too. I have mesh wheels in all 4 off my tanks, so I feel confident about their safety. And in both 20g tanks I also have saucers, so I feel good about those, too!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 am

Ok, thanks Scaredy! Would three females fit well on a 7 inch mesh wheel? I usually buy the 7 inch one from Wal-Mart, which is what both my boys have. They are reasonably priced and my boys seem to love them!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 am

I agree with everything Scaredy said. So far no injuries or even close calls with any of my wheels, including the mesh ones. My girls love to run on them together, no problem. It seems easier for them to run together on the mesh wheel over the saucer, though they will run together on both. I've not had a mesh one smaller than 8 inches so I can't answer your question for sure but 7 inch wheels are usually just fine for most mice.

I think the new girls would do great in the 10, especially while they're adjusting and you're taming them. And then if you wanted to upgrade them later you could.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm familiar with the grey one from Walmart! I think that would be fine too. But if you get big mice, you might want to upgrade to the 8".

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks for the info everyone! I have the ten gallon set up and ready for a trio, for the most part, I just need to buy a wheel because I don't have an extra one. I am hoping to hear of mice for adoption within the next few weeks/months, and if not, maybe I'll get a trio from my favorite pet shop Smile

It isn't often I see mice on Craigslist, but when I do, it is usually males who "didn't get along". I was lucky to get Clover off of there, so it isn't likely any girls will come up for adoption, but who knows, maybe I'll get lucky again! The shelter never has small animals though other than rabbits, so it is unlikely I will be hearing anything about mice there.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum