Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

How to administer meds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to administer meds?

Post by sweetlings on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:30 am

So my little Margot has been on baytril for a URI for 2 days now, and every day she gets more and more fed up with me trying to medicate her. The first day she drank the baytril right out of the syringe like a thirsty lamb, but decided the next day that she wasn't having any of it. Rolling Eyes

I've tried mixing the baytril with ribena for her to take from the syringe but still no good. If I scruff her and try to give her the syringe she just lets it drip out of her mouth.

How does everyone else go about giving baytril? Any tips and tricks? Can she just lick it off her fur if I put some on her? I'm not too keen on putting it in her water (for dosage reasons and also would hate for her to stop drinking), but is that my only other option?
sweetlings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to administer meds?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:40 am

Have you seen this page?: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet
If you scroll down, you'll see videos of both the scruff method and the glove method. I've never had to give medicine to a mouse, so I can't tell you what I think would work best, but personally, I'd go with the glove method, I don't like scruffing because I am scared I'll hurt the mouse, but that's just me. Maybe try the glove method?

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetlings on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks anonymous! That page was where I got the scruff method, but doesnt really help with the "not swallowing any of it" problem. Maybe I'll have better luck with the glove method!
sweetlings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:28 pm

For my most terrible of mice, I have put it on their fur and hoped for the best. I don't recommend it because you just don't know how much medication they are getting and baytril can burn the skin. But I happen to think it's better than dying of illness. Don't put it in the washer though, find another way. Try different methods and put it on the fur as a lay resort, then try again the next day.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetlings on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks Scaredy (you've been an amazing help with everything!), I hadnt heard of baytril burning so thats definitely good to know! I tried a drop on her fur and instead of grooming it off, she wormed around on the ground to wipe it off. Too clever! I wont be going that route again unless I really need to. Maybe I'll try mixing with a few other things and feeding in lots of tiny doses - We'll get there!
sweetlings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 am

I give my mouse her medicine in either a popcorn flavoured rice cracker piece or a stoned wheat thin piece, about the size of a cheerio.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top