My mouse is bullied by my other mice!

Go down

My mouse is bullied by my other mice!

Post by DrowsyDays on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

I currently have 4 mice, all of them females. The first two I bought were Monty and Rose, who came with a third mouse named Millie who sadly passed away. After Millie passed, I decided to introduce them to two more mice; Nova and Sophie. I introduced them slowly and on neutral territory, of course, with supervised visits to meet each other. I kept Nova and Sophie in a seperate temporary tank until they could all be housed together. Nova got along great with all of them, but Monty and Rose have started to pick on Sophie. As soon as Sophie leaves her hideaway, they chase after her and nip at her until she goes back to sleep away from the rest of them. The territory they were introduced on was an ikea detolf that I had bought that day (which is now their main cage), so they definitely have plenty of room for all of them to share and tons of places to play and hide in. Lately, even Nova has started to do this and pick on Sophie as well. I can't figure out why they don't like her so much. I have resorted to moving Sophie to the temporary 20 gallon tank by herself until I can find a way to house them together safely. Sophie seems to be getting lonely seeing as she is not nearly as active and only really comes out now for food and water. I have had these mice for months but nothing is seeming to help. The other three all get along fine with each other and are very tame, asides from when they are lunging at Sophie. (though i do not let them interact with each other anymore) Advice would be greatly appreciated.

DrowsyDays

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My mouse is bullied by my other mice!

Post by CallaLily on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 1:26 pm

Hello!  Welcome Sign   Good to see you here!

I already answered over on HH, so I just thought I'd say hey.

For those not on that forum:
@CallaLily wrote:Too much room may actually be the problem here. Try introducing them together in the 20g tank, making sure it's all scrubbed clean - toys too - all clean or new. Sometimes when there's too much space, a group of girls can split into separate colonies. Trying them in the 20 should help resolve this. And once they've been doing great together in there for several weeks or longer, you can try moving them up again, though I'd do it slowly. Maybe section off a bit of the detolf and slowly open it up over time.

Also it's best to isolate the aggressor for a time out, not the mouse being bullied. Try to see if one of the other girls is instigating the whole thing, which is often the case, and the others may just be following her lead.

Good luck!
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/135256-my-mouse-is-being-bullied-by-my-other-mice/#entry1473914

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by DrowsyDays on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

Hehe, thanks! I posted here too because I'm not familiar with any mouse foruming websites and wasn't sure which ones are active and which aren't.

DrowsyDays

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 2:21 pm

Well I hope you'll stick around! I know I love reading about everyone's meece and enjoy all the cute pics. I think it's safe to say everyone else here does too. Bouncy

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

Welcome to the forum! Mouse Wave

I agree with CallaLily... about trying a smaller space and separating the troublemaker AND about sticking around. Wink If you don't have any luck with a smaller space, maybe consider just keeping them in pairs for a while. I've had mice who got along better with a bit of age. Maybe they grow out of an obnoxious stage or something. Laughing Or sometimes a big difference in size or weight can cause problems, so waiting until they're a similar size if they're not.

I hope things go well!

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down