Eye popping out of head

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eye popping out of head

Post by sweetlings on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 am

I'm currently medicating my mouse Margot with baytril for a URI. For the past 3 days I have been holding her as demonstrated in the "glove method" video linked on the forum, and feeding the baytril with a syringe. Just today I tried again, same as always, and she struggled so hard to get away that her left eye just about popped out of her head. It was really really bulging, and only on one side. I truely was not squeezing her very hard at all, and she was trying to force her way through a gap in my fingers.

Obviously I'm completely horrified and have had a good cry about it - I'm terrified I've really hurt her. I've never seen her eye do that, all the times I've given the baytril this way. Her eye looks fine now, no longer bulging and no squinting or scratching.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking I'll just start having her groom the baytril off her fur rather than risk it again, but I really just want to know what to do about her eye. Will she be alright?
sweetlings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eye popping out of head

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 am

Oh my. That sounds awful. I have not had that
experience before. But I can tell you that their eyes can bulge, further than you think they should, when they can't breathe. If the eye is back to normal now, that is most likely what happened. And sure, it she was squeezing one shut, it could only happen to one eye. Now is it possible the eye got damaged? Sure. But like I said, if it looks okay, don't go crazy worrying about it. No pun intended, but keep an eye on it. Look for any drooping, squinting, drainage or scratching. I suppose its possible that her vision could be affected, but in a mouse, she would hardly notice.

I'm sorry that happened to you Sad

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetlings on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Having a bit of explanation for it makes me feel a lot better, thank you Scaredy. It just really scared me.

She was the first awake this morning and is eating, running and coming over for a treat, so I have to assume she's feeling okay about the whole situation. No weeping or squinting or anything nasty. I'll be watching her closely for a bit though, definitely.

I really appreciate your comment, thanks again.
sweetlings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:09 am

Please please please just put her medicine in a cracker piece.

I think it's insanity that people are being counselled to scruff their mice or glove them or do anything that could harm them, when you can just put baytril in a cracker.  You basically can't give them too much baytril unless you go crazy. Even doubling the dose is in all but very rare cases, harmless in the short term.

Also, mice licking medicine off of fur is non-sensical.  Crackers/chips/popcorn/whatever, is not nearly as much of a risk to mice as URIs or in-experienced mouse handlers being told and in many cases shamed, into struggling with squirming mice in order to feel like they are doing things the right way.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:54 am

How exactly is putting medicine on fur nonsensical? That is an established way to get other types of noncompliant animals to take medicine. Baytril tastes awful, not all animals will eat food if they can taste it. This is one of the reasons we don't put medicine in water... If they taste the medicine, they won't drink the water.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetlings on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of crackers/treats, peas. I agree that giving her a little bit of popcorn or cracker with her medicine would be preferable to the URI, and (now that I've had the awful experience with her eye), probably preferable to scruffing or holding her. However, as soon as baytril touches any food whatsoever, my mice wont go near it. I have tried this with veggies, fruit, crackers, cereal, peanut butter and chips - no luck.

Its no good for me, but someone else might find the suggestion helpful!

Would you be able to elaborate on the fur method being nonsensical? Honestly its the only thing that's worked for me so far without the risk of her hurting herself trying to avoid the medicine. I know baytril can be bad for the skin, but I tend to think it's better than no medicine at all (as Scaredy has said in another thread).

Scaredy, it can get pretty hot where I live, so I havnt risked the water bottle mixture for that exact reason. I HAVE tried a mixture of baytril and diluted ribena (this was the vets first suggeston) and offered it in addition to the fresh water but it was ignored - Baytril must taste pretty nasty!
sweetlings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:12 am

Just adding my 2 cents... I did not have much luck with administering medication on treats/food. This was even with a flavored medication that was supposed to help it go down a little easier. I can't recall off the top of my head what the medication was exactly, but it was an antibiotic that was cherry flavored. My little girl, Crunchie, started out ok with eating treats that had a few drops of the medication on it, but after a day or two, she wasn't having it. I tried switching up the treats each time so she would think she was just getting a new treat, but I guess she was able to smell the medication and stopped taking it voluntarily all together. I was not able to scruff her at the time because she had so many sores all over from excessive scratching. She ended up not taking the antibiotic when she was supposed to, which resulted in another 2 week course. It became a very lengthy and tedious process to get the antibiotics in her, twice a day, every day. I ultimately resorted to putting the medication on her fur because it was the only sure fire way to get her to take it. IMO... you administer medication in whatever way works best for the two of you, in whatever way that causes the least anxiety, and whatever way ensures that they get the proper dosage at the proper time.

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top