Pregnant or Fat?

Go down

Pregnant or Fat?

Post by Bthny on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm

I got two new mice today!  When I got home, I realize the one was a lot bigger than normal, so I'm a little nervous that she could possibly be pregnant.  However, she seems to be chubby overall, so I'm wondering if she's just really fat.  Can anyone with breeding experience tell?  She's much larger than my definitely non-pregnant females, and nearly twice the size of her smaller-than-average cagemate.  For reference, face size and body length are pretty similar, but she's a lot wider. I have sexed them both and they both look female, but I'm planning to check again later.

If she's just fat, does anyone have any advice with helping her weight loss?

Bthny
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pregnant or Fat?

Post by Peachy on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 2:14 pm

She doesn't really look pregnant to me, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on her for a few weeks. If she passes baby watch... well, some mice are just bigger than others. We don't recommend putting mice on restricted diets, but more exercise and fresh foods couldn't hurt. She actually doesn't look too big, so I wouldn't worry about her weight at all. Smile
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

Oh my, she looks so much like my Rocky! I agree with Peachy, she doesn't have that shape of a pregnant mouse.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Bthny on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

I'm glad to hear that she's (hopefully) not pregnant.  Here's a few of her and her sister though-- is that size okay?  None of my other mice have come close to being as big as her, even the ones I worried were getting too heavy.

Either way, I'll definitely watch for babies or changes. I tend to be overly concerned, so hopefully it's nothing!

Bthny
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 5:02 pm

Usually mice are fat due to genetics not diet, so just keep feeding her like everyone else. I kinda think she looks pregnant though... it's a little more difficult to tell with her because of the long hair. But considering you have her actual sister right next to her... she's lookin a little prego to me in a few of those pics. I recently got a pregnant female and when I held her, I just knew. There was a kind of heaviness to her body that I had never felt before. When I pressed ever so gently into her sides it was just so obvious to me that it wasn't fat. That said, I have a fat mouse that looks like she is pregnant but she's just fat. So, definitely keep an eye on her. Do you have a scale to weigh her? How old is she and where did you get her?

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bthny on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 5:54 pm

I was told she was about 6 months. The previous owner was rehoming them for free online. I usually say sister to refer to any cagemates, but it's possible they're not genetically related.

I have is a kitchen scale. I can try weighing her later, but if I'll get some resistance from my family if I use a "food" scale for mice while they can see it.
Bthny
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:26 pm

It looks like the same size difference between my girls, really. I never know if Graham's tiny, or if Maier's fat, but neither of them are pregnant. She doesn't really look all that pregnant to me, but like others said, simply watching them couldn't hurt.

It's more than likely that those two are related. They look very similar!

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:36 pm

Oh, wow! Those second pictures show her size much better. Laughing I still would lean towards not pregnant. Make sure you get her set up on a good exercise and healthy diet routine... try to keep any fatty foods to a minimum, etc.

I have a few chunks too! They sometimes lose a little bit of weight with age. If it's genetic, there's not much you can do for them. If you're concerned that it might be something else, a knowledgeable vet should be able to help you come up with some ideas.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 7:01 pm

Lol, yeah, weigh her when no one is watching. My fat mouse is at a stable weight, whereas my pregnant mouse steadily gained weight. Try to weigh her every day for the next few days just to see where she's at.

She's so big! I'm so curious how much she weighs. In pictures its so hard to tell how big she really is. The reason I asked how old she was because you really see a young mouse that big... But a 6 month old mouse would have had time to get fat. My prego mouse was about 6 weeks old... No way she was just fat! Anyway, a 6 month old rehome mouse is less likely to be pregnant that a baby pet shop mouse, despite her size. So that's good!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bthny on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 8:15 pm

I just got them, so unfortunately I'm not sure what the cause is  Worry But I'll be switching them over to the same food as my other girls, and I'm definitely going to try and get her exercising.  Hopefully that'll help, but it's good to know that it might just be how she is.

I weighed them with a postage scale.  I had to do a bit of converting, and I don't think the scale zeroed well, but the girl I'm worried about was around 80 grams.  I weighed one of my girls who I've had longer, who was about 42 grams for comparison.  I think both weights are a bit higher than the mice actually are because of the scale, so I'm going to try the kitchen scale tomorrow when no one's home and see if that's more accurate.

EDIT: Using a different scale, I'm estimating that she's between 80-90 g. Neither one is digital so it's hard to pinpoint an exact number.
Bthny
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down