Help!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I'm really scared for little Holly right now. I will type more in a bit. She is on her side and can barely move. She's shaky when she walks. She's fighting whatever is currently happening, trying so hard to eat and drink but she's super weak. I took her out and put her in a small bin with only food and water. I think she might've had a stroke, can anyone help me, I don't know what to do for her. I can't get to the vet until Friday. What do I do until then?

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Help!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 pm

After watching her for a while my dad and I really think it's a stroke. Is there anything a vet can do for a stroke? She still seems happy, eating and drinking, exploring, but can't walk right and seems to forget that she's not supposed to fall off of things. She falls off my hand like she forgot she's not supposed to walk off the cliff Sad

I am lost. I don't know what to do.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:37 pm

This is so sad to watch, she tried to groom herself and fell over Worry . I'm trying to help her as much as I can.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry! It could be a stroke, if so I can tell you its a minor one. The fact that she can eat and drink it a really good sign. Mice usually recover remarkably well from strokes but they are more at risk for another stroke. There isn't anything you can do for her other than comfort her and give her anything she wants.

Tell me again how old she is? She's not one of the chubby mice is she?

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:02 am

No, Holly is the one I said was crazy small and slower than the others mentally. She's from Petco so definitely not bred well. Her gotcha day is coming up in May, and in May I would have had her for one year. So she's probably 9 or 10 months. She's trying so hard to move around, eat, drink, and explore. She does seem very determined to recover. I looked up videos of mice having a stroke on Youtube but nothing came up except hamsters, and she did look similar to some of the hamsters that had strokes. I hope she'll recover okay. I don't want to put her back in the main tank for a while, because she can't get around well. I will be keeping her in my room tonight and checking on her every so often. Thank you for your help.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:17 am

When my Delilah had her first stroke, it was really, really bad. It took about 6 hours before she could even walk a little bit and I ended up putting her back in with her sisters at that point and they helped take care of her. They sat by the water bottle and supported her/held her up so she could drink and brought food to her. so even though it might not seem like you should put her back, it might actually be good.

For what it's worth, this is much harder on you than it is on her. Mice just sort of accept things that happen to them, much better than we can. She's probably thinking that this is just what her life is like now and trying to adapt. It can take up to a week to recover. After that, any deficits are probably permanent. But like I said, mice are excellent at adapting. Delilah had her first stroke around that age and lived happily quite a while longer despite having a couple more strokes.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks Scaredy. I'm just afraid she'll get stuck on/in something and won't be able to get herself out of it since she's weak. I would probably have to wait until tomorrow, but I could clean out their tank and make it more basic and easy to navigate for her. I told my dad several times about your story of Delilah because I remembered you saying something about it once, but he keeps telling me "I wouldn't put her in there because they might pick on her, a lot of times animals will pick on the weak ones". Though I don't believe that's true with mice. My girls were basically just ignoring her. As the hours go by she's actually getting stronger. She was strong enough to lift herself up and drink from the water bottle without falling over. She also sat up and groomed herself for a few seconds without falling. Now she's trying to sleep but keeps waking up. Thanks again for all your help, I was hoping you'd reply because I know you have a lot of experience with strokes, while I've never had a mouse that has had a stroke before.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:44 am

Awh, my poor little Holly fell asleep and now she's having bad dreams Sad

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 am

Your dad isn't wrong, animals can and do attack the weak. However that doesn't usually happen with bonded female mice. I wouldn't advise just plopping her in there and running off. Definitely make sure things go as expected! I've heard stories of mice picking on other old/sick mice before but I think more often than not they are kind to their sisters. I've had a lot of sick/dying mice and have always witnessed kindness and compassion. All the females that helped Delilah and took in Olivia with that giant head wound. And I've had so many mice that wouldn't leave the side of a dying sister.

Anyway, I'm glad she's doing better. The quicker they recover, they better the prognosis!

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:57 am

That's what I thought too. Like, I can see male mice acting like that because obviously they shouldn't be together. I can see un bonded female mice acting like that because they aren't bonded and don't really care about the weak mouse. I can't see my girls picking on her though. It just doesn't sound right. Her and Clover are good really good friends, and they always snuggle, I think Clover would help her. I took a video of her, this is her about an hour ago:

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:25 am

yeah, that looks pretty stroke-y to me. strokes an affect different areas of the brain but often they can weakness or paralysis on one side, difficulty eating/drinking/swallowing, dizziness, visual impairment, headache, and confusion. Delilah was terrified... that was the worst part for me (and her, I imagine). Goose, on the other hand, didn't seem to mind one bit. The visual impairment is very interesting. It's not as simple as being blind in one eye, you can get something called hemianopsia where you are blind in one half of the visual field. So you can't see the left half in both eyes. It's complicated to explain and very difficult for the brain to make sense of. I suspect Goose had this, his body seemed to recover well but he was never able to get around very well after his stroke.

Poor little mousies. Anyway, other than various therapies (physical, occupational, speech) and medication to prevent further strokes, there isn't anything else that can be done for strokes. It's sad to see her struggle but she looks like she's doing well. Definitely tolerating it well!

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 am

Poor Holly. Sad It's great to see her eating and getting around. How's she doing today?

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

She's doing a bit better today. Getting around a little better. Though not back to her normal self yet. I'm gonna have to put more food in there! She's eating a lot!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:24 pm

So my dad called today and asked about Holly, so I told him about my plan to clean the cage and put her back in there and blah blah blah. He reminded me that she can't get around in bedding (That's why I had her on paper towels in that bin). She can't navigate well in the bedding... What should I do about that? He told me to just put her in there for a few hours everyday so she can be with her sisters and then take her out, but I know that would probably be pretty stressful. I didn't really say anything though.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Have you tried her on bedding since she's improved a little? She may not struggle with it as much now? Or you could switch them all to paper towel (or fleece) liner and give them a dig box or area that Holly wouldn't need to go into?

I think it's great that's she's eating a lot. Healing is hard work. Please keep us updated on how she's doing. Smile

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum