Help!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Help!

Post by MesaMouse on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 pm

So sorry that you and Holly are experiencing this but, as Scaredy says, it's harder on us than on the mouse. One of my first mice, Frascati, suffered a stroke (one hind limb remained paralyzed but she regained the use of the other hind leg and had a permanent head tilt thereafter). She remained in the community and was taken care of by her BFF, Bombay, who would bring her goodies from the food bowl until she could manage on her own. It would be best for Holly to return to the comfort of the colony, even if it's difficult for her to get around at the moment. Your father will be pleasantly surprised to see how well mice care for their sick/injured sisters.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks everyone. I will try returning her to the tank tonight. Hopefully she can get around in the bedding better now and her sisters can help her.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:00 pm

She seems to have lost the movement in her tail... is that normal? She hasn't moved it at all and just kinda drags it behind her body.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Loss of strength in the tail is not uncommon, as long as she can pee/poop, it's not really serious. You would just need to keep an eye on it to make sure its healthy and injury free. She might not be able to feel it and therefore be more prone to injury.

All my stroke mice did fine on the bedding, i didn't have it very deep... Maybe 2". When you put her back, just watch them for a while. If there are going to be any problems, they should show up pretty quick. But i think you will find kindness and compassion. The only thing you need to be sure of is that she can reach the water. For Delilah, i put a wooden toy by the bottle that she could lean on and steady herself so she could drink- the item didnt bother the other mice at all. That way she didn't have to wait for help from her sisters. By watching for a while i was able to see where she was having problems and fix them. And i also wanted to mention that right up until the end, Goose & Delilah were still getting into the hammocks despite how unsteady they were. Mice adapt.

Let us know how it goes!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks Scaredy. She can poop, but I have seen no pee. It is possible it dried up before I saw it though. She is doing SO much better tonight. She's climbed a little bit and is doing so well. She can't move her tail, and loses balance every so often when trying to do something, but she's a lot better.

Sooooo... I returned her to the 20 gallon long. I wish I had caught the girls' reaction on camera. It was so sweet. I put Holly in and they all ran up to her, all 4 of them, and surrounded her. They sniffed her and were very vocal. She just sat there while they sniffed her like "Holly, you're alive! You're ok! Is it really you?!" lol. They were so happy to see her. Once everyone calmed down, she explored the cage and found the food bowl. She started eating again once she found it. They are all so happy that she's back Smile  

Video coming soon.
EDIT:
Video!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 am

Despite their size difference, Daisy and Holly are really good friends. They've been together through all my mistakes, they were some of my first mice, from when I was still learning. Holly lived alone for about a month, then I did my research. I learned Holly needed a friend. So I went to the pet store and got Daisy. I was uneducated, and only quarantined her for a week. I introduced them, and I was so nervous. I didn't want to get Holly a friend at first because I was so terrified that they'd fight. But that was probably the smoothest introduction I have ever done. Holly loves everybody, she's never bitten, chased, squeaked at, or harmed any mouse in any way. She's so accepting to new mice in the colony. She is so sweet to me, and doesn't run from me. Just thought I'd share that story. What made me think of it is this photo I took of them right now. Holly has always been there for everyone, and now everyone is there for her. Holly was eating alone in the food dish and no one else was around, so Daisy came and ate with her Love

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:37 am

Well, that's just about the sweetest thing I've seen all day. Holly sounds like such a sweetheart and I love how good all her sisters were to her. I'm glad to hear she's doing better ❤

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Holly looks soooo good in the video! She's moving well and can grip the food bowl with all four feet, a terrific sign. Was your father surprised at how well she was assimilated back into the colony, no worries?

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm so glad to see she's doing so much better. She looks quite happy to be back home. Very Happy

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 pm

MesaMouse wrote:Holly looks soooo good in the video! She's moving well and can grip the food bowl with all four feet, a terrific sign. Was your father surprised at how well she was assimilated back into the colony, no worries?
He was actually more surprised about how good she was acting! He didn't say much about the girls.

This morning, all the other girls were snuggled in a corner of the cage out in the open (They nest out in the open a lot, who knows why Laughing ), and Daisy was in that hide with Holly. I'm surprised it's Daisy who is taking such good care of her! I expected it to be Clover. Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm so glad she's doing well. It's absolutely amazing that they can recovery so well and so quickly from something like that. But they can!

Just be aware, that she is at risk for another stroke. If she was a people, they would run tests to determine the cause of the stroke and treat that problem. Obviously, in mice that's not possible. Of course, she could also never have one again. I just wanted you to be prepared. With Delilah, I think I got an extra 6+ months with her and despite having a couple more strokes, she was happy and did great.

You did great with her! The biggest thing is to make sure they can eat/drink and not hurt themselves while they recover. And then get them back to their sisters as soon as you can (under supervision).

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the info, Scaredy! It's a big help.  I think from now on I am going to keep their cage basic, or at least until I feel she can climb well and everything. But I will probably just keep setting up their cage basic, where she doesn't have to climb much, just in case she does have more problems. The other girls probably won't be happy about it, but it's for Holly's own good.

Here's some snuggles from this afternoon!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Awwww, good girls

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Her tail looks to be dead... Any help? She's like fully recovered now except for her tail. Her tail is hard and firm, I can't move it and neither can she. If I take her to the vet they will likely just snip it off right? I hate to pay $40 for that but if she needs it I can... Her tail is stuck in the shape of a hook and when she tries to do something like walk through a tube, it gets hooked on to the edge of the tube and she can't figure out why she's not able to move through the tube. My dad says we can just do it at home, but I am scared it will hurt her or bleed, get infected, etc. Again, if I she needs it I can take her to the vet. I just don't know if anything needs to be done...? It's really strange. If needed I can get a picture, but I'm pretty sure it's just dead Worry

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 am

Well, that's weird. So, do you mean just that it can't be moved? Is the skin okay? Does it look normal otherwise? Because I have a theory that is based on what I've seen in people with strokes. So what happens when people have paralyzed limbs, physical therapy is really important to prevent contractures. The physical therapist passively move the patients limbs around for them to keep them from locking up. Contractures can happen in a matter of days and basically the tendons and ligaments turn to bone. It's irreversible. The vet could amputate or you could leave it be as long as the skin looks healthy.

Of course, I'm just guessing over here. That's just what I know about people. If it is impairing her function, like getting caught on things, amputation might be the best option because if she injures her tail, it could get infected. I don't think she has feeling in the tail but she would need to see a vet for amputation. It needs to be done in a sterile environment and she will need antibiotics.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum