Trio in ten gallon?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trio in ten gallon?

Post by AllThingsGeeky on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm

I have heard so much different information on this I thought I'd ask it here. Can a trio fit in a ten gallon? I know it will be a tight fit, but as a novice mouse mom would I be able to house three female mice in a ten gallon happily? Will fights be likely due to the tight squeeze or is it actually safe? I'll be letting them out of the tank for at least 30 minutes a night. Is this enough or does it need to be an hour? I'm just nervous and afraid of having to separate and dealing with loner females. All advice is helpful. Thanks.
AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trio in ten gallon?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:21 pm

That's a perfect size for a trio! Females are actually more likely to fight in larger spaces. You don't want more than 3 in a ten gallon, though. I have had 3 girls together in a 10 gallon for a few weeks now and they've been some of the most peaceful girls I've ever had. I haven't heard or seen any fighting or arguing between them. They don't even steal each other's food (I also have a group of 5 girls in a 20 gallon long, and they argue and steal food quite a bit)! Just a tip, they really shouldn't be out of their tank for more than 30 minutes without water. Girls don't really need time out of their tank daily. Boys on the other hand, need a lot more playtime and human interaction than girls. Girls have each other, and aren't as dependent on you for interaction. 3 girls should live happily in a 10 gallon, and if you feel they like time out of their tank, then I'm sure they'd enjoy 30 minutes a night!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Trio in ten gallon?

Post by CallaLily on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Yes, a 10 gallon is the minimum for a group of 3 girls. It's always best to start them off in a "just right" size like that while taming and getting to know them. They can live happily in that space their whole lives, but once tame you can consider moving them up if you want. Just remember they like their space full of toys and hides, they don't like wide open spaces.

30 minutes of outside tank playtime every night is great. You can do more if you provide a water bottle/dish in the play area, because like AnonymousMouseOwner said they shouldn't go longer than that without it.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top