Bamboo nesting material?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bamboo nesting material?

Post by Sigildoe on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:49 pm

So when researching supplies for my mice I found this

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/kaytee-natural-bamboo-nesting-dye-free-alternative

I know that Cotton and cotton-like materials are bad or mice for many reason and should be avoided. But I was curious about the bamboo material. it looks so soft and inviting and looks a little better than toilet paper, but i care more about my mice's safety and happiness than looks. So I wanted to see what you guys thought and to see if anyone else had used it before without any issues?
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bamboo nesting material?

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I don't know for certain if bamboo poses the same risks as cotton but I wouldn't take the chance. Perhaps someone else has a definitive answer...i feel like this question came to a few years ago on the other forum and the answer was that it was not safe. I would be wary of it. It looks like something that tiny toes could get tangled up in.

Mice really, really like toilet paper. And I always put up a nice, soft fleece hammock to snuggle in. I would say better safe than sorry and skip the bamboo fluff.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 am

I've seen another type of fluffy bedding (kapok, I think) brought up on another forum and most agreed that it was not worth the risk. I'm with Scaredy on this. I wouldn't risk it. We know unscented toilet paper and tissues are safe. I would just stick to those.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 am

I would avoid it personally. I've found that Colin likes small squares of fleece mixed in with his paper nesting materials which can make it look more soft and inviting to us humans (but more paper than fleece!).

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigildoe on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks guys! I suppose if tissue is enough for the mice it's enough to for me! I'll spoil them in other ways.
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top