Unexpected Pregnancy and rehoming Tips?

Go down

Unexpected Pregnancy and rehoming Tips?

Post by masonbee on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:35 am

Soooo I rescued two girls about 2 weeks ago (abandoned in an apartment in a tiny cage!) and one of them is most definitely pregnant. I think they may have been owned by a breeder, the cage they came in had a tag with their names and birthdate.

I'm looking for some tips on providing the mother, Judith, a good environment while she is carrying, raising the babies tame, and also finding new homes for them once they're weaned and ready to go.

Judith came with another female mouse, Bridget, who I believe is her littermate and was intended to be her nanny. I have a very large wire cage I was housing them in, but have switched them to a 10 gallon aquarium for the pregnancy. It has good ventilation, and lots of hides, food, water, and bedding material (mostly paper bedding, tissues, paper towel etc) as well as chews and toys.
I'll be waiting 4 days or so before handling the babies at all, and separating the bucks and does at 4 weeks.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure the babies are ok?
And do you have any tips for finding new homes for them? as much as I'd love to keep all of them I don't have the time/space. I'm on a couple Facebook groups and intend on posting an add on craigslist.

Thank you all so much!
masonbee

Cancer Busy

View user profile https://thethingfromthething.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unexpected Pregnancy and rehoming Tips?

Post by Yorke on Sat 06 May 2017, 1:26 am

Seems like you have the cage sorted out.
Paper and a hide always makes the best nests for moms to be.
You can add more protein to her diet. I give dog biscuits or a few meal worms on top of their dry mix and fresh veggies.
Homing mice as pets not always easy.
Advertise pups on your groups with nice clear pictures and note which are male / female.
Not advised to handle pups the first few days if mim is from an unknown line. She may decide to cull pups, but handle them often once their eyes open at 2 weeks so they are socialized and tame.
Yorke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat 06 May 2017, 1:47 am

Everything you need to know about pregnancy, birth, handling, etc is in our Breeding packet.  Just scroll down to find what you need.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ODVRQG8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493996256&sr=8-2&keywords=water+bottle+ceramic+base

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 06 May 2017, 1:56 am

@scaredymouse wrote:Everything you need to know about pregnancy, birth, handling, etc is in our Breeding packet.  Just scroll down to find what you need.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ODVRQG8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493996256&sr=8-2&keywords=water+bottle+ceramic+base
I think you mean to link to the breeding packet? If so, here it is Smile: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat 06 May 2017, 2:22 am

Bwahaha, yup. This is what happens when you try to cut and paste tiny things on your phone in the middle of the night! As you can see, the water bottle link was the least thing i copied and pasted. Clearly my attempt to copy the Breeding pack didn't work Sad

Thanks for getting the right link in here!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorke on Sat 06 May 2017, 3:16 am

Lol i found the ceramic bottle holder interesting as well.
Yorke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down