Could this be a good mouse cage?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Could this be a good mouse cage?

Post by Salsa on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Hello! I am new to the forum.
Ive been recently searching around for the perfect house pet since i have cleared up my bedroom and have created a large space for a DIY Cage.
I found this video

And I really loved how it looked, and how spacious it was
and I'm guessing that its for a mouse? So I was wondering, is this a good mice cage, how many mice could i keep in it.
Because I think i found the pet I want to keep, and I wish to get the proper information for cages first before I go into any other preparations, since I'll be preparing for a pet very slowly.

Salsa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Could this be a good mouse cage?

Post by CallaLily on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm honestly not sure it'll make a good mouse cage. I'm mean, in theory sealing the wood, as Erin has, should work to make cleaning easier (though mice will most definitely chew up that contact paper). But over time, with cleaning and chewing, eventually the wood will soak in urine. And mice tend to pee and poo a lot. Which I guess isn't a problem if you don't mind having to chuck it down the road.

I also want to point out that with new, untamed mice -especially those from untracked lines- starting out in a smaller space during the taming process is preferable. And even then there's a small chance that they still won't do well with large spaces. Just depends on the mouse/mice.

How many mice that space might be suitable for depends on the floor space. Do you know the length x width you'd be going with?

Just for fun, my guess on Erin's new pet is a Chinese hamster. She mentioned it was a type of pet she had before but hadn't had for a while. I don't remember her mentioning having mice before, so that's my guess. Very Happy

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Fine

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:53 pm

So, the lady who does those videos makes these enclosures for hamsters. And there is quite a big difference in how much cleaning is involved between mice and hamsters. Hams are really clean and only really need to have their cages cleaned every 3-4 weeks, if in a 40g tank. Mice tend to make a bigger mess! I wouldn't recommended something like that for mice. I don't think it would hold up over time and would be a nightmare to clean. I'm sure my for less money you could just get a nice aquarium. Also, hamsters need a lot of space. Mice, on the other hand, don't always do well with too much space... It can be scary for them.

I imagine there will be different opinions to this, so we'll see what everyone else has to say.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Splotchy, Sherberta, Eva, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sunshine
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:So, the lady who does those videos makes these enclosures for hamsters.  

She hasn't actually said what type of pet this new cage is for but a species of hamster is definitely what I've been thinking too.  But a lot of people have been guessing a male mouse, so who knows. Laughing

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Interesting! I don't really follow her... I just know what she usually does. That would be neat if she got into mice. It would interest more people in them, for sure. But if she gets a boy mouse, that beautiful cage is going to be covered in pee pees! Most of my boys leave a fine layer of urine on everything. Except my baby boys that I helped raise with Georgie. They have excellent manners, probably from being raised with so many sisters, lol.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Splotchy, Sherberta, Eva, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sunshine
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Oh for sure if she puts a mouse in there, eventually the wood will soak in the pee pee, once the mouse rips up the contact paper and the wood sealant wears/gets chewed down. But I agree, would be cool if she got into mice. She has said before that they are a pet she would like to get someday!

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:41 pm

@CallaLily wrote:
Just for fun, my guess on Erin's new pet is a Chinese hamster. She mentioned it was a type of pet she had before but hadn't had for a while. I don't remember her mentioning having mice before, so that's my guess. Very Happy

I was wrong. She got a Syrian Hamster.

She did also mention that she does still plan on getting mice though. Cool

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm

When Erin was building the cage, I was thinking it was for a rat. Reason being, all the shelves and tunnels. So I was surprised it was for a hamster. Although, when she added safety rails to the shelves, then I was starting to doubt it was for a rat. That is one lucky Syrian hamster! Ear wiggle

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top