Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard.

Go down

HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard. Empty HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard.

Post by counterWULF on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:14 pm

HELP! I found a mama mouse and her 5 babies in my backyard. Mama ran off through a hole in the privacy fence. I put all 5 of her babies at the hole hoping she comes back to them. How long should I wait before I do something if she doesn't come back? There are outdoor cats, birds of prey, etc. in these parts. I think even the whistle pigs might eat them, as they eat each other when one dies. There are thousands of whistle pigs living in holes in the ground all around the outside of our yard where mama mouse disappeared to.
counterWULF
counterWULF

Worried

Back to top Go down

HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard. Empty Re: HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard.

Post by Peachy on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:27 pm

Welcome! You'll want to check out this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

The first point, "If you come across a litter..." will be helpful. It's recommended to wait four hours before checking to see if Mom has come back. This thread will also address what to look for when you check on them again.

Baby mice are going to be a lot of work. That thread details much of what you'll need to know if you choose to take them on. Finding a rescue that will take them in would be another option if you think Mom hasn't returned to her kiddos.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard. Empty Re: HELP! Mama ran off leaving her 5 babies in my yard.

Post by counterWULF on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

Thank you. I am also connecting with people on FB in mouse and rat rescue groups. I will wait for 4 hours like you said, and I will read those links. It is 49 degrees here in Idaho now, and it will drop down to 35 in a few hours. Not sure if the babies can survive in that cold without their mama and where they are laying on the ground right now. It's mostly gravel, so no warmth.

@Peachy wrote:Welcome! You'll want to check out this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

The first point, "If you come across a litter..." will be helpful. It's recommended to wait four hours before checking to see if Mom has come back. This thread will also address what to look for when you check on them again.

Baby mice are going to be a lot of work. That thread details much of what you'll need to know if you choose to take them on. Finding a rescue that will take them in would be another option if you think Mom hasn't returned to her kiddos.
counterWULF
counterWULF

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by counterWULF on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:45 pm

I was building a box for the babies to sleep in overnight and stay warm and safe from predators, and when I returned to them, they were all gone. I found a new hole Mama was busy digging to make a new home for them. While she was digging, all 5 babies were still where I left them. When I returned to grab them to put in the box, they were all gone. Mama saved the day! Woohoo!!

Thanks for your help.
counterWULF
counterWULF

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

Whoo! Great ending, I'm glad their mama grabbed them. We're always happy to help. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 1:01 pm

Yay, what a great outcome!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down