Oliver is circling! Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oliver is circling! Help!

Post by AllThingsGeeky on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:32 pm

New mouse mom is terrified. I went in to check on Oliver and he's running around his cage like mad! Running around his new hide in a circle. Can post a video if needed but wanted to get this on the forum ASAP. This can't be normal...
AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oliver is circling! Help!

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

A video would be helpful. If it's only circles, it could be an ear infection... it throws off their balance. But if he's running all over the place and then circling a few things a little bit, that might just be excitement. So, if you can post a video, it will help us help you.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AllThingsGeeky on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 pm

He took a break to sleep, but has started back up again. I'm still very concerned and not sure what to do if this happens again.  Sorry it took so long for me to get this video up. My internet decided to screw up and this took forever to upload.  Worry

AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm

That is not an ear infection. It's possible that is neurological but it sure looks a lot like anxiety/nervousness. So I'm going to need more information!

How old is he? When did you get him? Is there any fragrance in that bedding? That looks like a 40g tank, he could be freaking out with all the space... Does he still circle when he's in a smaller space? You can try putting him in a small box. Does he circle when you take him out and hold him?

If it's neurological, he won't be able to control it. So if he is doing it in the tank and you put him in a small box and he sits still... It's most likely anxiety/nervousness.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AllThingsGeeky on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:43 am

I'm not sure his exact age, but I brought him home on March 27th this year. I got him from the feeder bin so I have no idea about his history or his lines. I don't know how many gallons the tank is. I think it's forty gallons tall, but the floor space is only the equivalent of a twenty gallon. 360 square inches. I gave him the larger tank because he was the more active of my males. I went ahead and put him in a pet store cage with some bedding and water and he's still circling. The bedding is the unscented Kaytee Clean and Cozy. I triple checked the pack before I bought it. I hope this is enough information. I don't know too much about my little buddy, but I've really grown attached to the little guy. So if it is neurological, which to my dread I believe it is. What do I do for him? Spinning and spinning for hours on in isn't much of a life, and seeing this behavior is heartbreaking. Oliver used to be such a friendly athletic mouse who had such personality and now it seems like this is all there will ever be for him.

AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AllThingsGeeky on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:That is not an ear infection.  It's possible that is neurological but it sure looks a lot like anxiety/nervousness.  So I'm going to need more information!

How old is he?  When did you get him?  Is there any fragrance in that bedding?  That looks like a 40g tank, he could be freaking out with all the space... Does he still circle when he's in a smaller space?  You can try putting him in a small box.  Does he circle when you take him out and hold him?

If it's neurological, he won't be able to control it.  So if he is doing it in the tank and you put him in a small box and he sits still... It's most likely anxiety/nervousness.

I'm not sure his exact age, but I brought him home on March 27th this year. I got him from the feeder bin so I have no idea about his history or his lines. I don't know how many gallons the tank is. I think it's forty gallons tall, but the floor space is only the equivalent of a twenty gallon. 360 square inches. I gave him the larger tank because he was the more active of my males. I went ahead and put him in a pet store cage with some bedding and water and he's still circling. The bedding is the unscented Kaytee Clean and Cozy. I triple checked the pack before I bought it. I hope this is enough information. I don't know too much about my little buddy, but I've really grown attached to the little guy. So if it is neurological, which to my dread I believe it is. What do I do for him? Spinning and spinning for hours on in isn't much of a life, and seeing this behavior is heartbreaking. Oliver used to be such a friendly athletic mouse who had such personality and now it seems like this is all there will ever be for him.

AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:43 pm

He didn't do this when you first got him?

Usually when mice circle, the circles are smaller. And usually when there is an ear infection, there is a head tilt. So, I'm not really sure what's going on with him but clearly there is something wrong. I was hoping it was behavioral, but if he's still doing in a smaller space, it's not.

Best thing to do is get him to the vet as soon as possible. If is neurological, they won't be able to help him but if it's something else, they may be able to help.

I'm sorry about your little man...

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AllThingsGeeky on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I'll schedule an appointment then. When I first brought him home he was an athletic guy who playing and ran on his wheel and was never brought down by anything. He was a little nippy during taming, but friendly enough. He raced up and down my arms with no problem. He only started the spinning yesterday.

AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top