Hi everybody! :)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Hi everybody! :)

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 4:26 pm

sonofocelot wrote:Hi everyone! Hope it's okay to post links here, but I'm looking at homes for them now so I'm fully prepared for their arrival, and I've found this, which says mouse suitable. Would some of you more experienced owners than me be able to check out the bit that says item description and check the pictures and tell me whether you think this would be suitable? Smile

Just want to make sure that not only is my money going to good use, but most importantly that they're going to be 100% happy and safe. Thanks!!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/192003702596

Hello!
The cage looks fun, but I much prefer an aquarium for a few reasons.
-they are much, much easier to clean
-you can see the mice better in an aquarium
-this is just me, but the bars scare me, I would be afraid of a leg getting caught
-there are so many fun things you can put in an aquarium to enrich their lives.
-aquariums prevent drafts
-normally the wheels that come with cages are too small and noisy
Hope this helps Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousietale on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

Thanks that realy does help! Without wanting to sound stupid, is there any way to attach climbing apparatus and stuff to the sides and ceiling of an aquarium, or does everything just build up from the floor? Smile

Thanks!

Mousietale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 7:02 pm

Why don't you take a look at our housing thread here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t230-housing-pictures

When I was new to mouse care, that's where I learned a lot about housing and it helped improve my setups, by looking at other member's setups. They love crowded, packed tanks. They like cardboard, paper, and wood a lot. Boxes and toilet paper rolls can entertain them for hours. They love to shred, sleep in, and make nests in boxes. You can cut a hole in the mesh lid of the tank if you are handy, but no, I've never seen a tank that comes with attachments for tubes and such. They really don't need tubes attached though, really the tubes are more attractive to us because they are colorful and look fun, but they aren't a necessity for mice.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 8:54 pm

Barred cages can be fine, especially in the UK. Check out our recommended barred cages! I actually prefer barred cages, if only they were large enough. I find they offer better ventilation and you can hang toys easier. It's a personal decision. Have you considered a bin cage?

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 9:00 pm

Well, I can't find the link right about now...there was one with a list of good wire cages. However a quick scroll in the Mouse Housing section will be helpful!
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 11:06 pm

Yes, definitely check out the housing thread AnonymousMouseOwner gave the link to, it has lots of wonderful ideas for cage setups and they are lots of fun to look at! Bliss
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 7:52 am

Hi there, the main worry I'd have with this cage is the bar spacing - it says 1cm (about 0.4inch I think) and a small mouse would be able to escape from this if they wanted to. Recommended bar spacing is about 1/4inch (0.65cm). Personally, I use a cage with 0.7cm spacing and he definitely can't escape, but then Colin isn't the smallest of mice!
They are reasonably easy to find in the UK.

@RodentsRock Barred cages aren't a problem so long as the spacing is small enough to not allow escapees!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 4:43 pm

The problem with most cages is that the bars are too far apart and mice can escape or get stuck trying. Also, urine can soak into that kind if plastic and really start to smell over time.

And yes, you can most definitely hang stuff from aquarium lids. Check out the housing photo section as mentioned above. Also here is an example of one of my 29 gallon tanks to give you an idea of the possibilities!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousietale on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:02 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all the help, my babies are finally here! Sans and papyrus Smile they seem to be settling in well and I set up what seems to be a lovely environment for them.

My only slight worry at the moment - they're 6 weeks old, I have one of the standard water bottles nicely hanging in the home, but at the moment they just seem to be.. Sniffing it? It's probably fine but I'm just w little worried I'll wake up in the morning to them being extremely dehydrated :/ is there any chance they can't fit their mouth around it at 6 weeks, or haven't got the hang of how to drink?

I've only had them an hour, but I'm a worrier, haha.

Thanks everyone Smile

Mousietale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon 15 May 2017, 8:01 pm

***DELETED, POST GLITCHED*****

Edit: I'll add onto it anyways, aha.
First off -- cute names. Secondly, I wouldn't worry just yet. They're probably only hesitant. You can tap the ball to be sure its working, though.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hesitantbullets on Mon 15 May 2017, 8:29 pm

be sure to keep us updated with how they're doing!
hesitantbullets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousietale on Tue 16 May 2017, 11:44 am

Thanks! I'll attach pictures later when I work out how to do that on my phone Smile

Good news - both are eating and drinking, at the moment they're very timid, not really using their proper bed, more just curling up under the ramp to the second level, which is the blind spot in terms of where I can see in.. So I think for now it's probably best just to leave them to it? (Other than changing food water and cleaning out the home of course) maybe just for a week or two to let them get used to their new surroundings?

Mousietale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hesitantbullets on Tue 16 May 2017, 3:12 pm

yeah it's definitely a good idea to give them some time to acclimate. I'd say after a week or so you should try putting your hand in their habitat so they can come up and sniff you, but definitely don't do that right now
hesitantbullets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousietale on Sat 20 May 2017, 8:16 am

Hi guys

Sorry to keep asking questions but this seems like a sensible place to keep all the wisdom I've gathered from you. Sans and papyrus are settling in well after 5 days, but the issue I'm slightly worried about today is their water. They've been drinking, as I haven't helped them at all, and I've heard the noise of the bottle, and they seem healthy and happy after 5 days. But today, just absent mindedly, I gave the bottle a little squeeze to make sure it was still in working order, and both of them came running over and stayed drinking in turns for a full 3 or 4 minutes maybe, the water level dropping every noticeably as I gave the bottle a gentle squeeze every so often.

Is this normal? I think I'm just worrying too much about every little thing but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Mousietale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat 20 May 2017, 9:00 am

I had a water bottle before that occasionally would stop putting out water. Because of this I make sure to check any bottle at least once or twice a day by tapping the ball to make sure water is still able to come out. I don't use that old water bottle anymore and honestly haven't had the same problem since but I'm still paranoid about it. So yeah, I suggest checking it a couple times a day just to make sure it's still working. Smile

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next