too big?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

too big?

Post by Sigildoe on Wed May 03, 2017 5:32 pm

I feel bad for only ever asking questions here... Worry But I do appreciate all the help!

So my girls are in a 66qt bin set up with the three of them. But i've been thinking of building a bigger cage for them?

I know this is intended for hamsters but my girls seem so cramped in their set up now... i mean they're not acting like it but if it would make them happy i would build a city for them!

Let me know and than you so much!
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: too big?

Post by scaredymouse on Wed May 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I would not recommend something like that for mice for several reasons but the most important is that they would likely turn wild. Mice do not do well with that much space, it scares them. They like things small and cozy.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 pm

I agree. Some mice will like more space, but they also don't want /too much/. A 10 gallon is too small for my girls (lots of wall scratching), but I think they'd be scared in something so large. Though, I do guess it depends on the individual mice, room-wise.

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoniti on Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Interesting, I hadn't thought about 'too much' space.

I recently upgrade to a 40 gallon aquarium, currently the home of a colony of three.

Is that too much space? I definitely want them to be cozy, and not turn wild.

EDIT: heh, according to the cage calculator, the one I got can house 9 mice! Wish I woulda seen that before I went to 40 from 20 lol:

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t997-cage-calculator

Last edited by Akoniti on Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found the cage calculator I shoulda looked for before I bought such a big mouse house :))

Akoniti

Creative

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 pm

It might work fine! I would wait and see how comfortable they seem. ☺

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 am

I had 3 mice in a 40 breeder and it worked out just fine. They loved and used all of it. But I did start them out in a 15g  (there were 4 at the start), then slowly to a 20g long, then to the 40B.

Eventually I did get 3 more girls but only because I wanted them. Once quarantine was over, I intro'd them all in a bin cage that was a perfect size for 6 mice. Things went super smoothly, so I moved them back up to the 40 in around 2 weeks I think. Still doing great.

But it does depend on the mice, like River said.  I had a previous failed group of 4 girls, and split them into 2 groups of 2. One pair was in a 29g tank and bickered a lot. I eventually moved them down to a 15g  and they did great. So that's where they stayed.

I'm not sure I would try the huge cage in the first comment though.  Mice like packed cages, filled with things to do. Not that this is hard to do, but I definitely feel the difference between keeping mice in a 40g vs a 20glong.  Not that inconveniencing me should be the deciding factor.  It's also the increased risk of a split colony, becoming more territorial, or timid.

So if your group of 3 is doing good in the 40, no worries. Just keep handling them and monitoring them as you would anyway. Wink

EDIT: Now that I actually watched the video, lol, I see that the inside floorspace is 39 inches x 22 inches - so it's actually not a ton bigger than the 40B (36 inches x 18 inches).  So not as big of a leap as I thought, just 3 inches longer and 4 inches wider. Though the calculator does suggest up to 13 mice instead of the max of 9 in the 40 - not that I would likely ever keep a group of 13.....or even 9 really.  But with that cage there's also the likelihood that the mice will eventually ruin it with chewing and peeing.

But basically what I'm saying is, giving your mice more space isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it does come with some added risk, so I wouldn't suggest suddenly "tossing" a small group into a large space.  Get to know your mice. Tame them. I like to start out at the minimum for the group size I have. Then slowly work up to it. If at any point it doesn't work out, be prepared to move them back down. And remember in any size cage, they like it to be crowded with places to hide and things to do. Smile

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum