Microphthalmia? (Small eyes?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Microphthalmia? (Small eyes?)

Post by louiee on Sun May 07, 2017 9:13 pm

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my mouse Thistle's squinty eyes. It's been a couple of weeks that they've been on only paper bedding (previously a mix of aspen and paper) because I thought she was allergic to the aspen or it might have been irritating her, and Thistle's eyes seem about the same. I've been doing more research and I think she might have microphthalmia, which is a condition where the eye(s) are abnormally small. There is no discharge from her eyes and she doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. (Or any more comfortable on only paper-based bedding).

I've been reading as much as I can about it and there are quite a few medical/scientific journals concerning mice specifically (they're really confusing but informative), and Thistle's eyes do look quite a bit like some of the pictures in them. She's just smaller in general then her sister Sage.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with microphthalmia? Or had ever even heard of it before? Thanks for any advice or information! Tail Flip

Hearts Hearts  Hearts  
Rainbow2 remembering: lily  Rainbow2
louiee

Aries Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microphthalmia? (Small eyes?)

Post by scaredymouse on Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

So her eyes have been squinty since you got her? How long have you had her? How old is she?

I've heard of microphthalmia before don't believe it's every come up here on the forum.

Do you have a picture of this mouse?

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by louiee on Sun May 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure her eyes have been squinty since I've had her, and I've had her for at least 3 months now. I think she was only six weeks old when I got her but I'm not entirely sure. In the beginning I did notice her eyes looked a little funny but I thought she just seemed sleepy (I would lift up their house to check on them). After a while she started to come out more when I was around and that's when I really started to wonder if something was wrong with her eyes. I assumed it was an allergy/irritation due to the aspen bedding.

Her eyes just never seem to open as wide as my other two mice. You can clearly see a roundness to their eyes while Thistle's are just kind of half-shut.

It's hard for me to get a picture of her because she's not coming around to taming very well but here's the best I could get. (She's a little mad at me because I woke her up lol).

Hearts Hearts  Hearts  
Rainbow2 remembering: lily  Rainbow2
louiee

Aries Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun May 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Aww, she is a cutie Very Happy

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down