Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi all

Go down

Hi all Empty Hi all

Post by Livy Mon 08 May 2017, 7:11 pm

Been working really hard on their new home and whenever i try to talk about it people think o
Im weird
Livy
Livy
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-08
Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by PastelMouse Mon 08 May 2017, 7:22 pm

Hello and welcome. Smile

Same, people always get mad when I talk about small pets. It's a hobby, but with most other hobbies people don't care if someone mentions it a lot.

_________________
Currently have 2 dogs and a turtle, hoping to get a mouse soon. Smile
PastelMouse
PastelMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2017-04-08
Posts : 104
Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by scaredymouse Mon 08 May 2017, 7:38 pm

Welcome to the club! We are all mouse enthusiasts here, so feel free to talk all you want about mice, post pictures and ask questions!

_________________
Lady mice: stormy, Dahlia, lily, Ella billie, coco, maggie
Gentleman mice: milo, jimmy
Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) robert, lulu, Englebert, harold, Gerald, Zumi, nico, charlie, (hamsters), stella (gerbil), Gilly (hedgehog)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 2458
Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 08 May 2017, 10:10 pm

Hi Livy, welcome!! We love talking about mice and all animals here! So we are here for you!!! Looking forward to getting to know more about you and all your pets. Welcome Crew
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Happy

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by CallaLily Tue 09 May 2017, 8:13 am

Welcome! Yes, I get some strange looks and rude comments pretty often too. It makes it extra nice when you run into someone who isn't like that.

CallaLily
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 3937
Festive

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Livy Tue 09 May 2017, 12:34 pm

Thank you all for nice reposes i have three mice freddy,draco and jason. Jason is friendly with both the others but draco and freddy don't seem to get along well. Draco is very shy and freddy comes on too strong i think
Livy
Livy
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-08
Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by River Tue 09 May 2017, 5:57 pm

Can I ask if these are males, or just females with more masculine names? Males should live separately, but females need company. My girls names can be easily mistaken as male, too, so I thought it worth asking.

_________________
Mouse26
Hearts
Goose, Otter & Mr. Bald* ♂ 
Remembering Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-19
Posts : 1440
Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 09 May 2017, 9:37 pm

Hi, yes, if they are males you should separate them right away. Male mice cannot live with other males, they must live alone. In pet shops male mice are kept together when they are babies but that is the only time they can be kept together safely. Males will fight and the injuries can be horrific and they sometimes fight to the death.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Happy

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Livy Tue 09 May 2017, 9:42 pm

There all males but only one of them fights and he only picks on the smaller one their was no aggressive behavior before he was added and non towards the other mouse
Livy
Livy
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-08
Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 09 May 2017, 9:52 pm

The problem is they can turn on one another in an instant. Even if they are getting along now, most likely that won't last. Male mice are extremely territorial. I've seen photos of male mice after fighting and it truly is awful. I think there is a link to it somewhere here, maybe someone else will know where it is. I'm not exaggerating, they can do horrific damage to each other that can end in death.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Happy

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by CallaLily Wed 10 May 2017, 7:28 am

@Rodents rock! wrote:I think there is a link to it somewhere here, maybe someone else will know where it is.

It's here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos.

I agree with the above, it's best to separate them. It's not natural for them to live with other males. In the wild, one male lives with a group of females and their pups. Once any male pups mature, they're chased away. Any rival males coming into their territory are also fought/chased away. In nature, there's plenty of room to get away and other males typically respect others' territories. In captivity, there's no where to go so it often leads to very severe injuries or death. Even boys that are snuggling now can turn on each other in an instance. Even brothers.

If you have access to an experienced exotic vet you could consider getting the boys neutered. It's risky for them and some will say It should be only in extreme circumstance (a male with ocd scratching for example). But even if you do get a buck neutered he would still be best housed with a group of females, not other males. Neutering does not guarantee they won't be territorial (or smelly lol).

CallaLily
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 3937
Festive

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 10 May 2017, 8:38 am

@CallaLily wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:I think there is a link to it somewhere here, maybe someone else will know where it is.

It's here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos.

I agree with the above, it's best to separate them. It's not natural for them to live with other males. In the wild, one male lives with a group of females and their pups. Once any male pups mature, they're chased away. Any rival males coming into their territory are also fought/chased away. In nature, there's plenty of room to get away and other males typically respect others' territories. In captivity, there's no where to go so it often leads to very severe injuries or death.  Even boys that are snuggling now can turn on each other in an instance. Even brothers.

If you have access to an experienced exotic vet you could consider getting the boys neutered.  It's risky for them and some will say It should be only in extreme circumstance (a male with ocd scratching for example).  But even if you do get a buck neutered he would still be best housed with a group of females, not other males. Neutering does not guarantee they won't be territorial (or smelly lol).

Thank you, CallaLily, for posting the link and your help in explaining better why males cannot be housed together.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Happy

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Livy Wed 10 May 2017, 8:55 pm

I separated the agresive one and i am monitoring the other 2 for now thank you for the advice
Livy
Livy
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-08
Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 10 May 2017, 9:05 pm

@Livy wrote:I separated the agresive one and i am monitoring the other 2 for now thank you for the advice

Even though male mice are aggressive with other males, they are super sweet with their humans.
I love my Mickey, he is sooooooo sweet!
Wishing you all the best.
Hope you will keep us posted and share pictures of your boys.
Do you have any other pets?
I have a dog, a gerbil, a mouse, and a hamster.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Happy

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Peachy Wed 10 May 2017, 10:00 pm

Welcome! A couole weeks ago I told my boss that I have pet mice. Thankfully he didn't look at me funny, he just said, "I'm an aninal lover too!" lol

How old are your boys? Smile
Peachy
Peachy
Moderator
Moderator

Join date : 2016-04-06
Posts : 3156
Classy

Back to top Go down

Hi all Empty Re: Hi all

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum