Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Suspected allergy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suspected allergy

Post by Flower on Tue May 09, 2017 8:30 am

Hi Smile The other day I posted in the Emergency forum about my girl, Popcorn, and an open cut on her shoulder about half the size of a pinky nail. The wound has been scabbing over even though she's been scratching it too. It's been getting smaller gradually with no signs of infection. She has yellow spots on her fat li'l rump so I suspect that that is the cause of her obesity and perhaps an allergy. (I named her Popcorn before I found out she was obese, so it wasn't a joke about her weight at the time I got her)

Today I picked her up to check on her and I noticed that the whole front half of her body feels bumpy and that, underneath her fur, she has a few little sores and some skin that looks a little like it's peeling after sunburn. She's eaten sunflower seeds and the occasional bit of peanut butter her whole life (7 months) and only recently I've started using CareFresh bedding.

I'm quite scared that it could be a parasite rather than an allergy as I did some digging online yesterday and learned that timothy hay and CareFresh are the two main carriers of parasites for mice. My 3 girls have both types of bedding.

Popcorn has been scratching since I posted in the emergency forum but it isn't so bad that she's scratching her ears off. The skin on her upper body has always been a litlle pink and has looked tender, but she's never had a scratching issue before.

I've heard about rice diets to see if it's an allergy, but I'm wondering if that's safe and whether Popcorn needs to be separated from her sisters to be fed the diet? Are allergic reactions to CareFresh possible at all?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Flower
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-05
Posts : 11
Likes : 0


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected allergy

Post by CallaLily on Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 am

Have you treated them for mites/lice before?  If not, I would try that first. How to treat them is explained in this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites.

_________________
Rina, Tilda, Arsinoe, & Eulyn
Mouse5  Mouse5  Mouse5  Mouse5
and wild mouse Henrika
Mouse12
avatar
CallaLily
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 2907
Likes : 680

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected allergy

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 am

Hi, I've never experienced any problems with Carefresh, but I know that is possible. You might try doing a full cage/tank clean and only use the Carefresh. I would think hay could be more likely a culprit of parasites. So try leaving that out to see if it makes a difference. As far as food, I use the Vitakraft parakeet food. I also give spray millet, also in the bird section of PetSmart. I give a little organic cereal as a treat. Do you have any wood toys/houses in their home? My Mickey turned out to have an allergy to the popsicle structures I used to make him. So now no wood in his tank and he hasn't had any problems since. I only use Carefresh, and plastic and ceramic accessories. I also give him torn up plain paper towels which he likes to use as bedding for his nest. I definitely would not separate your girls. You may want to make a vet appointment if these changes don't make any difference. Hope this helps.
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1431
Likes : 384

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected allergy

Post by Flower on Tue May 09, 2017 9:00 am

@Rodents rock! wrote:Hi, I've never experienced any problems with Carefresh, but I know that is possible. You might try doing a full cage/tank clean and only use the Carefresh. I would think hay could be more likely a culprit of parasites. So try leaving that out to see if it makes a difference. As far as food, I use the Vitakraft parakeet food. I also give spray millet, also in the bird section of PetSmart. I give a little organic cereal as a treat. Do you have any wood toys/houses in their home? My Mickey turned out to have an allergy to the popsicle structures I used to make him. So now no wood in his tank and he hasn't had any problems since. I only use Carefresh, and plastic and ceramic accessories. I also give him torn up plain paper towels which he likes to use as bedding for his nest. I definitely would not separate your girls. You may want to make a vet appointment if these changes don't make any difference. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. I use millet spray too and they have a popsicle house I made for them. I'll look into mite treatment as well Smile I'll give that a go, thank you!

Flower
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-05
Posts : 11
Likes : 0


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected allergy

Post by Flower on Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 am

@CallaLily wrote:Have you treated them for mites/lice before?  If not, I would try that first. How to treat them is explained in this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites.

Thank you for the super quick reply! No, I haven't. Is 5mg per mL correct? I'm confused with all the talk about topical treatment, paste and stuff you dissolve in their drinking water. Plus, living in Australia, I can't seem to find ivermectin online. I will definitely go shop searching for it and I'll ask around. Do you happen to know of any options available in Australia?

Flower
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2017-05-05
Posts : 11
Likes : 0


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspected allergy

Post by CallaLily on Tue May 09, 2017 1:20 pm

You purchase the bottle that states 5 mg per ml, and then you'll further dilute it as follows:
The correct dosage is 1 part ivermectin to 5 parts water. For example: Measure one teaspoon of ivermectin (5 ml) and then add 5 teaspoons of water (25 ml). The ivermectin will begin separating quickly, so you must shake well and shake often! The mixed ivermectin is stable at room temperature for 6 months, just be sure to shake very well before using again.

After that, dosage is:
To treat the mouse, simply place one drop of the diluted ivermectin in between the shoulder blades, then use your fingertip to smear it down their back. You should use a syringe to do this to make sure you are giving the correct dose. One drop is approximately 0.01 ml (0.01). If you get too much on the mouse, try to wipe off the excess. Try to keep the mouse occupied for about 10 minutes to prevent the mouse from trying to lick off the medication, so that the medication has a chance to soak into the skin. Treat the mouse once every 7 days for 3 weeks, cleaning the cage as described below before each treatment. After completing the 3 week course of ivermectin, discontinue the treatment for 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks have passed, repeat the treatment protocol once every 7 days for another 3 weeks.



I'm not sure about products you can find in Australia though. I know in the UK they can find Xeno 50 Mini easily and just follow directions on the packaging.  Maybe you can find that there? Or something similar?

_________________
Rina, Tilda, Arsinoe, & Eulyn
Mouse5  Mouse5  Mouse5  Mouse5
and wild mouse Henrika
Mouse12
avatar
CallaLily
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 2907
Likes : 680

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum