Hello

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello

Post by Eastridge on Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 am

Hello, my nick is Ron.
About a month ago I caught 2 mice in my house and named them Mickey and Minnie.
They are not fully tamed and a wee bit skittish.
2 days ago my daughter-in-laws dog bumped the tubes and set them free.
I think it was Minnie that returned on her own,  I hope it's Minnie as I found 6/7 baby mice when I was cleaning the cage today.
They fell out of the little house. she/he carried them back inside.
eyes not open yet, hope they survive.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello

Post by scaredymouse on Fri May 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Oh my...well, it does sound like behaviour you would expect from a mother.  Those look like very nice cages, you must really care about these little ones!  However, wild mice really should be returned to the wild whenever possible.  As long as they are healthy and not injured.  Which means in 4 weeks they should be released.  I'm sorry to break that news to you.  But, after this is done,  you should go out and adopt some fancy mice and give them home!

Here is our link to wild mouse care:

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Welcome! It's so nice of you to take them in. Have fun with the babies, but I agree that releasing them and their mom once their weaned is the best idea.

Love the cage! I think I ordered the same one (or a very similar one). It should be coming any day. Bouncy Definitely consider keeping domesticated fancy mice in the future, they're lots of fun!

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, and Petunia
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eastridge on Fri May 12, 2017 10:17 pm

I planned on releasing the male into the wild as soon as I recapture.
And the female once the babies are weaned.
Will be working on domesticating over time. I'm a disabled vet with nothing but time.
Not really keen on driving 75+ miles to a pet store like petsmart or Petco as I consider them to be nothing more than mills.
Animal mills really tick me off.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri May 12, 2017 11:58 pm

A lot of us find critters on Craigslist, in shelters or from breeders as an alternative to pet stores. We feel the same way about the treatment of animals in mills and the pet store industry. Of course, for some people that is the only option and after all, those poor souls deserve homes too... Even though it reinforces the problem. Sigh.

I've also got a lot of times on my hands. I am a nurse, but haven't worked in quite a while because if my health. So now I take care of critters instead. It's an excellent way to spend time. Hopefully your babies are doing well. A few of us have had litters, so let us know if you have any questions. Babies are a ton of fun when things go well. I got a pregnant female a while back. My husband want too thrilled but I sure was! I was like a child waiting for Christmas. And then it was pure joy for the next 6 weeks. And I kept them all, so its still pretty great. But...we really do have way too many mice now Pardon

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eastridge on Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 am

Been researching things for mice in this area for some time.
Nearest vet that handles mice is 49.35 miles.
No shelters or breeders that handle mice for pets.
Sorta in a dead zone when it comes to pets other than cats, dogs and horses.
Still haven't found a vet for my chickens(daughter-in-law got em for granddaughter). Kinda surprised no vets in the area handle chickens as so many people in the tri-county area have them.
Living so far from large population cities limits options. Way out in the boonies close to a national forest.

So far the babies appear to be doing ok, the mother has rebuilt the nest in the house. Ill try cleaning the cage Sunday.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat May 13, 2017 1:23 am

So, about cage cleaning... Spot clean only. Don't disturb the nest for 3 weeks. Tread lightly until their eyes are open. If the mother feels threatened in any way, she may eat the babies. It's brutal. When my mouse had babies, that tank got so funky and it was so hard to resist the urge to clean but she needs privacy. Just replace food and water, spot clean, and toss in some clean bedding and she'll do her own house cleaning.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eastridge on Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 am

Good to know, thanks.
When I discovered the babies I was worried that she would eat them. Lucky she carried them back and rebuilt the nest.
Estimate she gave birth sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon.
Been playing soft music for them when they are awake to get them used to noise.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat May 13, 2017 5:06 am

I wanted to discuss release really quick. So, at 4 weeks mice become sexually mature, meaning that the male babies can get mom pregnant again. Ah, nature! So, mark 28 days out from the estimated delivery date. That is when you should release them. If that is not possible, then you should separate the boys at that time. And if you can't tell them apart- separate them all!

While we're talking about pregnancy, i thought i should mention that there is a distinct possibility that you're momma mouse could be pregnant again since she was MIA with a male mouse. It happens all the time. And since they deliver around 23 days... You end up with new babies before the old babies are even weaned. Hopefully that does not happen! But we're seem it before, we can help walk though through that scenario.

Here is the link to wild mouse info if you haven't read it yet: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

And I'll be right back with more info on care of babies

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 am

I wanted to discuss release really quick.  So, at 4 weeks mice become sexually mature, meaning that the male babies can get mom pregnant again.  Ah, nature!  So, mark 28 days out from the estimated delivery date.  That is when you should release them.  If that is not possible, then you should separate the boys at that time.  And if you can't tell them apart- separate them all!

While we're talking about pregnancy, i thought i should mention that there is a distinct possibility that you're momma mouse could be pregnant again since she was MIA with a male mouse.  It happens all the time.  And since they deliver around 23 days... You end up with new babies before the old babies are even weaned.  Hopefully that does not happen!  But we're seem it before, we can help walk though through that scenario.

Here is the link to wild mouse info if you haven't read it yet:  https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

Also, here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about caring for babies, both through weaning.  Except things are slightly different with respect to taming/handling.  Since they are returning to the wild, contact should be minimal.  If you scroll down, you will find more information about cage cleaning: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet#70

**also, since this thread has become more informative than a regular introduction post, I want to move it to the section on wild mouse care, which is a subforum under emergency care.  I just wanted to let you know (and have you acknowledge it!) before i move it, so i know you can find it!  But i also want others to be able to find it and benefit from the information

Last edited by scaredymouse on Sat May 13, 2017 5:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add note)

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eastridge on Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you, still haven't caught the male he's pretty wary of the traps.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eastridge on Sat May 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Hmm eyes not open yet but mother has taken 1 baby from the nest and left it in the tubes that connect the 2 cages.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Aw, that's not good! Are you sure she did it? Is it possible baby crawled over there? If she put him there, that means something is wrong with him unfortunately. And when that happens you will either find a dead baby or no baby at all. Such is nature Sad

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eastridge on Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 am

I carefully put the baby back in the nest, she then put a different baby in the tube.
After putting that baby back she hasn't done it since.

Eastridge

Scorpio Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 am

@Eastridge wrote:I carefully put the baby back in the nest, she then put a different baby in the tube.
After putting that baby back she hasn't done it since.

That is interesting. Glad she hasn't done it again since.
About 30 years ago, I had gerbils and let the mama have a few litters. No matter how many she had, she would only care for two or three them. I always assumed that's all she thought she could handle, even though her litters were only three to five babies. On her final litter, she had three babies, one was still born, she gave all her attention to the one that was still born and was ignoring the two live babies. I removed the still born baby and then she started caring for the others. Her name was Tasha, she was so sweet. The dad was Charlie. I kept the three boy babies, they wereTasha's first litter, they all lived with dad. The other babies went to a friend for her kids. I spoiled Tasha for the rest of her life Very Happy Nature is so amazing.

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum