possible URI?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

possible URI?

Post by jess32247 on Sat May 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi everyone, I'm concerned about one of my girls. I woke up today and heard my girl Chub breathing very loudly. For the past few weeks, I would hear her making little chattery noises but I thought she was just talking to her tank mates but it was always in the back of my mind that it could possibly be a uri? Today was the worst noises shes been making. I've been at work most of the day at this point but my boyfriend says shes been doing fine without any loud raspy breathing.

I plan on taking her to the vet mon-tues-wens if I hear her making those noises again, but honestly even if it doesnt happen again I'm still considering taking her to the vet to be sure. She lives with two other mice that seem fine so far, but would it be better to seperate Chub for the time being? Or can she stay with them? If anyone has any expierces or in sight about this, please share!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: possible URI?

Post by CallaLily on Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 pm

I wouldn't separate them. It would only add to her stress and the others have already been exposed to whatever's going on with her. A vet trip sounds like a good idea to me. If she does have an URI she'll need antibiotics. I hope she feels better soon.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 pm

I do know it's best not to separate them. That will cause stress to all the girls and the one that is taken away will think she is being punished. If you think her breathing still isn't right, maybe it would be best to take her to the vet to be sure. But hopefully her breathing will be fine.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 pm

If you could post a video of it, we might be able to help more. If you are concerned though, better safe than sorry, go to the vet.

Does her breathing *look* labored? Does she have any other symptoms (is she eating/drinking/running on the wheel, sleeping too much)?

Also, I agree, do not separate. The others have already been exposed and she would just think she's being punished.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 pm

He texted me before I got off work saying she was fine all day, but when she woke up it instantly started again. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to see what they can do, I'm crossing my fingers they can get her in on monday Sad

I'll try to get a video of in a little bit.. shouldnt be hard with how loud she is. She seems totally fine otherwise, maybe some slight labored breathing but nothing too far out of the ordinary from what I can tell.

Thank you for the advice so far everyone, Ill keep her with her friends so she can stay the most comfortable. I hope they dont catch whatever she has going on. :/ Waiting until the morning to call is going to be torture.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 am

https://youtu.be/lMoLVyaHmgs

Heres the best video i could get of the sound shes making :/

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun May 21, 2017 5:40 am

first of all, she's adorable!

so, I actually don't think she sick... based on your clip, I think you have a talker on your hands. of course, i'm not a vet but she looks healthy, she doesn't sound congested, she's not making clicking noises that are indicative of URI's, and the sounds are intermittent. but... it was a very short clip! so, if watch my clips below and aren't 100% sure that she's talking, then go to the vet. URI's usually come with other symptoms such as a clicking noise, sneezing, lethargy, sitting in one spot breathing hard and more constant noises. I'm also going to have the other moderator take a peek at your video and see what she thinks.

here are a couple good clips from some of my healthy mice who like to talk, so you can be the judge.

https://youtu.be/NOqdU-TfWz8

https://youtu.be/QwCPQ2FgHs0

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun May 21, 2017 7:38 am

@scaredymouse wrote:
so, I actually don't think she sick... based on your clip, I think you have a talker on your hands.

I agree. I also had a chatty mouse and she sounded just like that.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am

@CallaLily wrote:
@scaredymouse wrote:
so, I actually don't think she sick... based on your clip, I think you have a talker on your hands.

I agree. I also had a chatty mouse and she sounded just like that.

My Mickey talks too and sounds the same Very Happy I love when he talks! Also, your mouse is beautiful Love
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun May 21, 2017 11:14 am

oh my gosH I think you guys are absolutely right! She sounds just like the chatty mice in the videos and shes showing no other symptoms or anything. She must of just found her voice and is putting it to good use! I'll keep an eye on her but for now I think I'll skip the vet. Smile

Thank you SO much everyone!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun May 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Sounds chatty to me too. Smile

Here's a good video of a mouse who sounds sick. Actual video starts around 20 seconds.
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm

I actually found that video you posted above when I was looking into uri's and was trying to compare her to that mouse but she hasn't been acting anything like him at all so I came here to you guys. Smile Thank you all for reassuring me!

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 pm

A couple of my girls had scarred lungs and/or Myco, so they often sounded sick while acting like nothing was the matter.
Once they're sounding sick and acting sick they're often very sick, but thankfully, figuring out if you're hearing healthy talking or URI clicking and chirping gets easier with experience! lol
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum