Is This A URI?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is This A URI?

Post by MouseBites on Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 am

Ethel was acting really sluggish this afternoon. Didn't think much of it until a few hours ago when i noticed her still laying around while Lucy was out playing. I sorta bribed her to come out with a treat. Seemed ok but still sluggish. Then later she was just sitting at the end of the cage perfectly still which never happens for more than 2 seconds. That's when I noticed the clicking noises (it's hard to hear them on a computer without headphones. she starts making a lot of noise at the 20 second mark):

She seemed pretty normal yesterday. Maybe a little lazy now that i think of it. But i've never heard them make these noises before today. she's also the same weight she was about 2 weeks ago if that matters.

i'm guessing i should get an appointment asap but was wondering if there was anything else i can do now. she actually looks a bit depressed now. she's just been laying around. doesn't move unless i put my hand in (even then it takes her a while).

MouseBites

Drama Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is This A URI?

Post by scaredymouse on Tue May 30, 2017 5:38 am

Aw, poor sweet girl. It's hard to hear well in the video but i do hear the clicking. I would definitely get her to the vet. Is she still eating and drinking?

In the meantime, if you have a humidifier, you can set that up near her tank. Make sure she stays warm and hydrated. So if she isn't drinking, you can syringe feed her plain, unflavored pedialyte or even plain water if that's all you have. And if she's not eating, try to find something she likes to encourage her.

I can't say for sure its a URI, but the clicking isn't normal and the lethargy is very concerning.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseBites on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 am

thanks again for the help scaredy Smile the vet gave me some antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. she's been on those since Tuesday. she's a lot more active for the most part (still draggy at times). still hear some clicks though. is this normal or should there be more improvement by now?

MouseBites

Drama Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:10 am

i wouldn't worry as long as there is improvement.  If there is still clicking at the end of the antibiotics though, make sure to talk to the vet.  Sometimes they might do another course with different antibiotics but sometimes, mice will get scarring on their lungs from the infection, so they could potentially still sounds sick even though the infection is gone.  

so, as long as she's improving... Just finish the course of antibiotics and reevaluate at that time.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum