Worried I Screwed Up Taming For Good

Go down

Worried I Screwed Up Taming For Good

Post by FluffyTailedNico on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Hey all! So this is my first duo of mice, and right around when I got them, my life became a bit of a mess. Needless to say I haven't had much (If any) opportunity to try and tame my two girls. They'll sometimes let me pet them (but usually lean or run away), they take treats from me, and once I get them out of the cage they love to explore, and they come near me but never crawl on my. If I try to pick one up, they jump out of my hands (I scoop them, I never grab them).

If it helps, I have two girls in a 20 gallon tank. I've had them since April 1st (exactly two months now!) They're still pretty young, but... I'm very worried that even if I (now that my life is somewhat in order) can now put more time and effort into taming them, they will never warm up to me because of how long I waited. Do you think I could still bond with them, or is it too late? Thank you so much!
FluffyTailedNico

Aquarius Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Worried I Screwed Up Taming For Good

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 pm

I believe you can for sure still bond with them. One thing that may make it easier is to keep them in a 10 gallon tank till they are tame. Just spend time with them everyday and have fun with them Very Happy Keep us posted on how it goes!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drago on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 pm

I'd say it isn't too late personally. Rodents are smart animals and can be tamed at practically any point in life tbh. I'm sure whether they were handled when they were very young will play into their overall tameness, but most pet shop/feeder mice won't get handled at that age anyways. Moving them to a smaller tank or bin as suggested above may be a good course of action until they're able to be handled comfortably. It's just a matter of being patient and persistent Smile Good luck

Drago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Not too late!  Just move forward and start taming, they'll come around.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum