Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Feedermice or pet store, where should i get a pet mouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feedermice or pet store, where should i get a pet mouse

Post by KellysMom on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 am

Long story short. Found baby mouse in my yard. Fed him by hand , once he could eat on his own for a week, I released him back into our yard which is very Lush and everybody around here has fruit or bird feeders. Husband wanted to keep him ,me too, but my whole family was so worried about us getting a disease or one of our cats catching something that I felt pressured to release him. I tear up as I write this because believe me we loved him. Tuesday I let him go and my husband can barely look at me. I want to buy him a pet mouse but I don't know where to look I have looked for breeders in my area and cannot find one. Humane Society and SPCA in this area too dont have any. *****My question is who might be healthier, a mouse from PetSmart or a mouse from a reptile store who carries feeder mice? ****** Just as we did with the mouse I let go - we are the type of people who would carry him around all day and let him play in the room that we are in. Every 30 minutes I'd put him back in his fish tank to pee. He was a wonderful being. I must say for being a wild mouse he was a dear. He would jump into our hands after running around for awhile or lick your finger when he was hungry I miss him very much. .:-( alsoooo we gave two cats , they have caught many mice in our yard when we used to let them out there by themselves , we now have a large screened in Lanai. Would it be too dangerous to have two cats and a mouse in the house? I did get them used to two parakeets, it took many months of having them both on a leash and me sitting next to them with the birds not that I would leave them alone with the birds but if for some reason we accidentally left the door open to where the birds are I am not as worried and they have been all living together for 7 years. Has anyone else had success with cats and a mouse in the house?

Last edited by KellysMom on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Feedermice or pet store, where should i get a pet mouse

Post by Peachy on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:32 am

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time letting him go. Releasing wild mice back to the wild is hard, but it's what's best for them unless there's a good reason to keep them, like an injury preventing them from being able to survive.

A domesticated mouse will be much better for you all in the long run. For example, if he ever gets ill or needs vet treatment, you can actually take him to the vet! Most vets for domestic animals won't treat wild animals. You'd end up being faced with watching him suffer or trying to find a rehabilitation program that would take him on.

The health and conditions of mice will vary from place to place. It's best to check out each place you're looking to adopt from, but generally PetSmart is a very good source. You'll want to find one that keeps males unless you want to bring home two-three little girls. Smile

This link has some tips on how to pick a healthy mouse:

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t6-bringing-your-new-mouse-home

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you. I read the link. Petsmart only carries girls. I want one boy only. Maybe i should just let all this go and not get another. Too bad pet stores dont pay great wages, if they did i would work there and be around the animals all day!
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am

Check out the other stores before you give up... They're not all bad, PetSmart is just more consistently good. Smile

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:56 am

It all depends on their supplier, really. I find that my local pet store has much healthier mice than chain pet stores. They have both fancy and feeder mice, but they explained to me that they both come from the same supplier. This particular store just picks the "prettier" mice out, and actually will actually quarantine the mice for a week, which isn't long, but I've never heard of pet stores doing a quarantine like that at all. They say they pick out fancy colors, put them in a tank, and the employees watch them for any illnesses. Then, the fancy mice are put on display. So they are the same mice pretty much at some pet stores. Others might have separate suppliers for feeders vs fancy mice. I had a feeder mouse from a different store once, and she didn't live more than a few months, but the conditions she was living in before were awful. I also didn't know vets for mice existed at the time, so I couldn't get any treatment for her. Maybe try asking some people who have pet mice where they got them, and ask how healthy their mice have been.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:07 pm

The petsmart up the road is quarantining a new group of female youngsters now. Our boy ran around a lot. I was always afraid that one of my cats would sneak in the room when I had him out with us otherwise he was on top of my head or on my shoulder or my husband's. That is why we wanted only one to keep with us all day. I only work on Saturday evenings and then my husband is home of course because he works during the week. Anyway I'm just not going to get another one because I only want one and at this point I think PetSmart is the only place that has any decent ones around here and they are all girls. From perusing this website it seems that even if we keep her with us all day that she will need a cage mate and I am not willing to have two right now
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm

are there any other petsmarts in your area?  They usually alternate boys/girls from store to store.   that would be my suggestion.  I've gotten feeder mice before and they have all been wonderful.  Also, have you tried pet finder or Craigslist?  I've gotten pets from all these places!  I even once went to a reptile convention to get a mouse!  Any mouse would be lucky to have you Smile

also, i have 2 cats and I've never had any close calls.  Just be careful.  It can done safely!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 pm

OH! they alternate stores! wow, well i will call the one further up the road, maybe they have boys, thank you all.
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Also see if you can talk to the manager at your Petsmart. Let them know you're looking for a boy. I know the one closest to me in state has occasionally gotten a boy in by mistake. Maybe they could contact you if that happens? Worth asking if the one further away only had girls too.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by GGMouseCare on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I can't really tell you much about location, at this point. I got my four girls from a breeder. What I can tell you, however, is when picking out a mouse, (male, I think you said.) it is important to look for health problems. These can be;
- distressed breathing
- "caved in" sides
- gooey or overly wet eyes
- tail kinking
- fur clumps
- overgrown teeth (malocclusion)
- bleeding
- limping
- loss of appetite (not eating much)
- little socialization
I hoped this helped. Some mice can be bullied so that they have socialization problems with people, and other can even have fatal health problems, like URI's. I strongly suggest getting a mouse. Creating healthy, string bonds with animals (other than cats Smile ) is great for the soul, and it sounds like your husband would have a blast with the little fellow. Plus, if you adopt from a larger store, think of it as saving a life. Your giving him a home. Please keep me posted!
Best wishes, Greek Girls Pet Mouse Care Love
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

View user profile https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:58 pm

My PetSmart only carries males. Mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, and chinchillas. I've gotten a few pets from there and they have all been very healthy. The Petco near me carries males and females, but I've never purchased from them because they just don't keep the cages clean and the store always smells. The PetSmart near me always has clean cages and never smells. I know this can all vary from place to place. I have a male mouse, Mickey, and he is the sweetest little man. So don't give up!
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:23 am

Scaredymouse was right, PetSmart closest carries girls, the next one up the road carries boys , i wrote three paragraphs but it didnt save it cuz it took me too long. Gotta run now
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:41 pm

yay, I'm so happy!!!!  Can't wait to see pictures!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top