People raising baby mice

Go down

People raising baby mice

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 5:29 pm

What are everyone's opinions on buying a pinky (or just a young mouse) from a pet store/reptile store and raising him/her? I've seen so many Youtubers do this. It seems a bit risky for the mouse, as they aren't guaranteed to live without a mouse mom. However, if the mouse was sadly doomed as many pet store mice are, it probably would have had a much worse outcome right? I'm not planning on doing it myself, I just always thought it seemed like a cool way to bond with the mouse, because you can start handling him/her so young. However, it seems like a very hard thing to commit to, and does pose risks, IMO.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: People raising baby mice

Post by scaredymouse on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 6:22 pm

So, I think it's absolutely wrong to take a baby away from their mother. However, many stores/reptile convention vendors do. So, once the deed it done... and that baby is alone.... I would say it's fine to take one home and try to help it survive.

The problems:
1. Very labor intensive: feedings every 2 hours around the clock
2. High failure rate. Many of them die and your heart will be broken.
3. Hand raising does not guarantee a tame mouse.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:So, I think it's absolutely wrong to take a baby away from their mother.  However, many stores/reptile convention vendors do.  So, once the deed it done... and that baby is alone.... I would say it's fine to take one home and try to help it survive.

The problems:
1.  Very labor intensive: feedings every 2 hours around the clock
2.  High failure rate.  Many of them die and your heart will be broken.
3.  Hand raising does not guarantee a tame mouse.
Agreed. I thought of it when I saw a bin of pinky mice at a store, they were taken away from their mothers and it made me sad. Worry I wished I could save one, but I knew it was risky and very hard work. Plus, potentially heartbreaking. Otherwise, I probably would have tried to get one. I think a better, less labor intensive way to rescue baby mice is to rescue a pregnant mouse, then not only are you saving the mother's life, but lots of baby mouse lives too!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 6:32 pm

Oh yes, that's a fun way to do it... but they what do you do with all those babies!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down