Help - Unexpected baby mice on the way!

Go down

Help - Unexpected baby mice on the way!

Post by Salt on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm

So.. two weeks ago I got 6 girls, 3 from a lady who had an unexpected litter at home (9 week old girls), and another 3 from a woman who breeds mice (she breeds them for food, but there's no other way of getting mice in Ireland - They're around 3-4 months old).
Now one of the older girls has turned out to be pregnant, and I believe the other 2 older girls might be pregnant too. Clover is definately very big now, the others may have a small bit of a tummy.
So... what's important at this point? I do have a big terrarium so room for another few girls in there, and I have another terrarium the same size if needed, and obviously I'll try to find most of them good homes.
When she does have her babies, should I leave her in with the others? I have read that I need to separate the boys at 4 weeks of age, but what if the 3 litters are born at different times? How will I know when to separate each?
I have double checked that all the 6 that I have are girls, so I'm sure of that point. I'm not confident about sexing young ones, but I suppose I'll have to try! Should I be giving the girls any different food? (I know sometimes you give rats egg at this point) to make sure they stay healthy? I just want the very very best for my girls. They're not quite tame yet as I haven't had them for long, and I really don't want to stress the "mothers to be" out, so I'm not sure how much I should leave them alone. I do check on them every morning and evening and lift their main house up to make sure there are no babies there yet.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am experienced with animals (worked in a zoo for years and as a vet nurse for 5 years), so I'm dedicated to doing whatever is best for these little ones.

Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help - Unexpected baby mice on the way!

Post by CallaLily on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:03 pm

I don't have any experience with pregnant mice or babies, but there is a ton of information in the Breeding Packet . Everything from breeding to pregnancy to birth and on, so give that a read while you wait for those with experience to chime in. Good luck and I hope you'll be able to share baby pics! Very Happy Very Happy

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Salt on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:17 pm

Thank you Smile

Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down