Bin Cage: Part 2!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bin Cage: Part 2!

Post by Mirabelle on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello again everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on, but I've been busy since! I've gotten 4 new mice for a total of 6 (3 pairs, everyone seems to be getting along swimmingly, didn't hear any squabbles after just 2 days). I did think the 1 bin was a bit small for them tho, so I added another one, cannibalizing the crittertrail my original 2 mice started in for the tube connecting them and the wire walls so I have the door and mountable water bottle and wheel from the crittertrail.

What do you think?

I'll get individual pictures of all my girls here soon!
(you can see Sigourney at the bottom left in the wood dome, tho!)
Mirabelle

Scorpio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bin Cage: Part 2!

Post by RandomMouseLover05 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:39 pm

It looks really cool! Just want to double check, is there any ridges or possible ledges on the sides of the bins? If so they aren't suitable because mice can put their paws on the ledge and chew threw if they wanted to. But if the bin gives no ledge, then you should be fine. Second just want to make sure the tubing connecting between the two cages is big enough because i've heard of mice getting trapped in those because they are to small and I REALLY don't want that happening to your mice! I can't really tell in the photo, but as long as you think they are good, then they should be perfectly fine! And one more thing, it depends on what mice you have, but a mesh wheel doesn't work well for most mice, since their feet can get very terrible from them. (Haha I feel like such a critic sorry!) But instead of that it looks AMAZING! So cool! <3

RandomMouseLover05
Jr Member
Jr Member

Curious

View user profile https://www.quotev.com/BeastGalGamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirabelle on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 pm

@RandomMouseLover05 wrote:It looks really cool! Just want to double check, is there any ridges or possible ledges on the sides of the bins? If so they aren't suitable because mice can put their paws on the ledge and chew threw if they wanted to. But if the bin gives no ledge, then you should be fine. Second just want to make sure the tubing connecting between the two cages is big enough because i've heard of mice getting trapped in those because they are to small and I REALLY don't want that happening to your mice! I can't really tell in the photo, but as long as you think they are good, then they should be perfectly fine! And one more thing, it depends on what mice you have, but a mesh wheel doesn't work well for most mice, since their feet can get very terrible from them. (Haha I feel like such a critic sorry!) But instead of that it looks AMAZING! So cool! <3

It's alright! better safe than sorry. I did mount the wire on the outside so there is a ledge, but I never really notice any plastic getting nibbled so I figured it'd be safe. I'll keep an eye on it just in case.
The tube I think is ok, I've seen 2 of the bigger ones squeeze past each other in it before.
As for the wheel, I'm keeping an eye on their feets, but the more energetic mice then to flip the smaller shyer ones around the wheel when they all pile in there so I figure it's better to give those poor girls something to hang on to. Don't Know
Thanks for the input tho, I'm thinking of doing the same thing to the top bin with another random cage I found free on craigslist cuz I already really like having the easy acess, this time I'll mount it so the bars are mounted in the inside.
Mirabelle

Scorpio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am

Mesh wheels are fine for mice and their feet! You wouldn't want them living on any wire or mesh levels, but a wheel won't bother their feet one bit. Smile Check out this thread for a bit more discussion:
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t152-why-are-mesh-wheels-safe

Your cage looks awesome! I've saved a couple old cages in hopes of using a door someday. Waiting for my husband to take it to work to "paint" first. Bouncy

Peachy

Scorpio Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomMouseLover05 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Haha okay thanks! Just wanted to make sure! Very Happy

RandomMouseLover05
Jr Member
Jr Member

Curious

View user profile https://www.quotev.com/BeastGalGamer