Higgins food

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Higgins food

Post by Teddy545 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:36 am

Higgins has 2 kinds of mouse food. One has:

Crude Protein - Min. 12.0%
Crude Fat - Min. 4.5%
Crude Fiber - Max. 11.0%
White Millet, Wheat, Red Milo, Oats, Corn, Sunflower, Timothy Hay, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Hay, Soybean Hulls, Soybean Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Carrots, Flaked Peas, Flaked Beans, Beets, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Hemicellulose Extract, Algae Meal, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.

And the other has:

Crude Protein - Min. 14.0%
Crude Fat - Min. 7.0%
Crude Fiber - Max. 6.0%
Red Milo, Oats, Corn, Wheat, White Millet, Sunflower Seeds, Flaked Beans, Peanuts, Green Split Peas, Flaked Peas, Flaked Carrots, Papaya, Beets, Green Peas, Bananas, Ground Corn, Brown Rice, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Wheat, Timothy Hay, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Hay, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Vegetable Oil, Cane Molasses, Sugar, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Algae Meal, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Cranberries, Apples, Blueberries, Celery, Parsley, Lettuce, Spinach, Watercress, Brewer’s Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, Hemicellulose Extract, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Dried Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Turmeric, Annatto Extract, Beet Juice, Natural Citrus Flavor, Natural Banana Flavor, Natural Pineapple Flavor.

I was thinking I could just mix these 2 together, what do you think? If I did the math right it would be protein-13, fat-5.75, and fiber-8.5. I would just feel better to give a mouse food that's meant for a mouse, it probably doesn't matter though.
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Higgins food

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:48 am

While not a preferred mix imo, it would probably work ok.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:55 am

I use Vitakraft Vita Smart Parakeet Food and then give a few other things as treats. Most members here recommend this food for mice. Something to remember, just because a food is stated to be for mice, doesn't always mean it's good for mice. I've had my mouse for a little over a year now and his main diet is the parakeet food. He has always been a very healthy mouse and he loves this food.

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy545 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

So you're saying you don't have experience with it. Can you tell there's something wrong with it compaired to the parakeet food?
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Teddy545 wrote:So you're saying you don't have experience with it.  Can you tell there's something wrong with it compaired to the parakeet food?

I don't know. I've never done comparisons. I went with the parakeet food because that is what was recommended on this forum from many of the members who have been keeping mice for years. So that is why I took their advice. Other members here would be a lot better than me at analyzing foods. Hopefully one of them will respond soon. Very Happy

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm not the best at this kind of stuff, but there looks to be a lot of corn and hay in the first one. Corn is a cheap filler with not much nutritional value, and while it is extremely hard to avoid in commercial foods, there are foods with less of it, which is better. Hay isn't something mice eat much of naturally. They usually just use hay as nesting material or something to chew on, it doesn't make a super good ingredient in a diet for them. And the second one appears to have quite a few sunflower seeds. Striped sunflower seeds should be limited, or avoided. I give them sunflower seeds as treat, but not often. Sunflower seeds are common allergens for mice, which is why one should be careful feeding them.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:32 pm

For me, there's too many sunflower seeds and corn, plus what Anon said about hay.  Added sugar isn't something I like to see either.  These things can be tough to avoid in commercial mixes but you can find those that have a bit less or none.  I do understand where you're coming from about species specific food but the truth is, most mouse foods are absolute crap.  I personally choose to make my own grain mix (with a lot of research and calculating everything that goes into it) alongside two mouse specific pellet foods. But many here feed a parakeet mix as their main staple with very good results and I have in the past as well. There are a few recommended foods in the Diet thread found in the Nutrition section, along with other food/treat related advice.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy545 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Oh, okay, I learned that hay isn't a good ingredient at least. Then I was thinking that I don't know what the breeder I want to get mice from feeds them.
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 am

Teddy545 wrote: Then I was thinking that I don't know what the breeder I want to get mice from feeds them.

Yes definitely. If you're getting mice from a good breeder, they should be able to recommend what they find works best for their line.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by emmaflea on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 am

I spent my morning going through my bag of Higgins Sunburst rat and mouse food. There is a ton of sunflower seeds and quite a bit of corn and peanuts. I will definitely be buying the vitacraft parakeet food next time.

Last edited by emmaflea on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added photo)

In loving memory
Angel  Pickles and Olive Angel
emmaflea

Sagittarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top