Which cage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which cage

Post by Yassssssss on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 05:38

I'm debating between the barney cage (100cm by 54cm) and the Alaska cage(80cm by 50cm). I'm only planning on having 3 female mice and ( though it seems stupid) I'm worried that the Barney will be too big for me to tame my mice. I've only got a budget of £110 in reality, but I could scrape together a bit more. The Barney is more expensive and larger so will need to be filled with more toys, so I'm more likely to go over my budget (which I don't want to do). I understand how important it is for mice to not have too many open spaces, so I'm worried that if I go for the bigger one there will be too many open spaces as I have less money for toys. What would you say is best?
Yassssssss

Leo Relaxed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which cage

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 05:50

I'd go with the second one you mentioned. At least, when you first get them. If you introduce them to a large space as soon as you get them, it can cause stress, and they may be more difficult to tame. It's always better to start smaller with mice (As long as it meets the minimum, of course), then if you think your mice could use a bigger cage, and you have the space and money to do so, you can upgrade later. You want them all tamed up before you give them a large cage, though. What you said is correct, it will need to be packed with toys. No large open spaces. The smaller cage you mentioned though is plenty of space for a trio, so an upgrade isn't needed.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Yassssssss on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 06:02

Thank you!
Yassssssss

Leo Relaxed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 08:11

The size of the Alaska is fine, but I'm not sure of the bar spacing (0.9 cm/0.35 inch). It's a little wider than the bar spacing on the barney (0.7 cm/0.27 inch), which may be an issue. I do like that the door in the front of the Alaska is bigger than the two smaller looking ones on the barney, though both do have the bigger top door.

If the bar spacing is good, I see no reason the Alaska wouldn't work out just fine.

Edit: Math really isn't my area so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but thinking a little more on this....I think 0.9 cm bar spacing should be ok. 1/4 inch is what's most commonly recommended but I've seen others say 3/8 inch is ok for most. 0.9 cm is a little smaller than that.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Yassssssss on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:49

I am worried about the corners though. Because it can be dismantled the gaps in the corners are wider than the bar space. Do you think that this would be okay or would I have to cover them?If I had to, how would I?
Yassssssss

Leo Relaxed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:37

Hmmm, that is something to worry about. If they end up too big, you could always mesh it in with metal hardware cloth.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top