I have a cat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have a cat

Post by Teddy545 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:02 pm

I want to put the tank inside a book shelf to protect it from the cat. Now I'm wondering if that wouldn't be enough ventilation. There would be an inch gap.
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I have a cat

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Are the shelves adjustable on the bookcase to give more space above the tank? I would worry that an inch gap wouldn't be enough ventilation.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy545 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:49 pm

No, the shelf's not adjustable. I'm worried the cat will jump on top of the tank and tip it over, she does things like that.
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

I know there are several members here on the forum that have mice and cats, I'm sure they will have some good advice for you. Smile
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SkywalkerSyd on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:30 pm

I would say that an inch isn't enough space for definite proper ventilation and also because every time you want to interact or adjust something in your cage you'll have to pull the whole tank down which can get tiresome for you and the movement might irritate the critters as well.

I have 3 cats and a dog that are very interested in my mice and hamster lol but a tank on a bookshelf is awesome protection. This is my set up of my new trio in their 10 gallon (i don't know how many inches is above, maybe 4-5), it's enough space for me to hand feed treats, etc.

Also excuse the mess my little trio has created of basically pushing all their bedding into a giant pile of a nest around their egg carton bed Laughing
SkywalkerSyd
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy545 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:07 pm

I would move the tank, that's what I did with my old mice. The top opening is annoying to me and I like to watch them make nests.  I'm not sure what to do with the tank when I'm not supervising.  My cat's driving me crazy, that's part of the reason I want to get mice, it would be like cat tv, lol. It might end up being more problems though.  My cat actually pulls the books off the book shelf so barricading the other shelves probably wont work.

Any other cat proofing ideas?

Edit: I didn't have a cat when I had mice before, only a dog that didn't care about them.
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:06 am

The best solution is keeping your little critters in a cat-free room that has a secure door but I know that's not possible for everyone.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by SkywalkerSyd on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I personally don't trust my cats around my mice and hamster cages without supervision, just to be safe. I think a 10 gallon might be too heavy for a cat to knock down anyways and a covered secured lid would definitely help but 100% secure cat-proofing is supervision and closed doors Laughing

Also the couple times I've lowered the tank to give my cat a closer look, he has pawed the side of the glass where Mogwai was cleaning herself. My mice don't seem to pay any mind to my cats but if you notice that your mice seem stressed or scared with a predator staring them down then cat tv may have to be cancelled.
SkywalkerSyd
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:39 pm

So an inch is enough airflow for them but you will get an odor buildup everytime you move that cage. I had my mice on the bottom shelf of a bookcase for a little while, I think there were about 2 inches of room on top. The mesh lids are designed to withstand 20lbs of weight on top and you can get screen clips to secure the lid. But I wouldn't bet their lives on that lid holding up! As someone already said, ideally, the mice could be in a room with the door shut and the cat only allowed under supervision. My mice are in a secure room to keep them away from the cats.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy545 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:02 am

@scaredymouse wrote:So an inch is enough airflow for them but you will get an odor buildup everytime you move that cage.  I had my mice on the bottom shelf of a bookcase for a little while, I think there were about 2 inches of room on top.  The mesh lids are designed to withstand 20lbs of weight on top and you can get screen clips to secure the lid.  But I wouldn't bet their lives on that lid holding up!  As someone already said, ideally, the mice could be in a room with the door shut and the cat only allowed under supervision.  My mice are in a secure room to keep them away from the cats.

It is?  That's really good news.  Maybe I could pin an unscented odor absorber on the inside of the bookshelf.  I measured it again and it would be an inch and a half. I was thinking about getting a zilla tank with a built in screen, I think it would be less noisy and cost less. Very Happy This kid on youtube has a really good tank with shelves and sliding glass doors, I'm so envious.
Teddy545

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 pm

just make sure your get some airflow in there at least once a day to keep things fresh and circulating.  It's not ideal but it will work.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum