Best housing for 6 separate males

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best housing for 6 separate males

Post by Salt on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 am

Hello there. I'm hoping for some advice. I have 19 mouse babies that are now 4 week and 2 days old. I had found homes for the 12 males, but because someone changing their mind I now have 6 that I have not been able to find homes for. I have been told it's not a good idea to house them together (as they are originally from feeder mice and not a breeder) so I am trying to figure out a way for me to keep them all separate whilst not costing me a fortune (money is not a huge issue, it's just getting 6 separate cages can be so much money). Does anyone have any ideas?

I have found the below on sale but not sure if those cages are good enough?

Last edited by Salt on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating with photos)

Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best housing for 6 separate males

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:42 am

I'm afraid those look pretty small, especially the second one, much too small. If tanks are available at a good price in your area, a ten gallon tank for each boy would be perfect.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:16 am

Not only are they too small, they would be horrible to clean! I want to say that I admire the fact that you are caring for this litter... not everyone has the sense of responsibility to care for these little ones. I had an accidental litter a while back but I only got stuck with 8 babies, whom I kept. I have 5 tanks of males all in their own 10g aquariums. I'm not sure if that is feasible in your part of the world. Another thing that people do is make their own cages out of plastic storage bins... is that something you have available to you?

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 am

According to the conversion online, the first cage is 22.8 inches x 12.5 inches. That's a little larger than a 10 gallon tank. Confused  So that wouldn't be too small for one male according to our calculator.  The wire spacing might be a little bit too wide though.

10 gallon tank (20 inches x 10 inches) each would be perfect or you could makie bin cages for cheap, if either of those are available to you.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am

Aquariums and bins are definitely a great way to go for many reasons. No risk of escapes and super easy to clean. I have my male mouse in an aquarium and I have my hamster in a bin. Cages are fine too, but you have to be sure the bar spacing is small enough. With 6 males though, I would lean towards aquariums or bins for the ease of cleaning. Great you are keeping all 6 males Very Happy When you have time, hope you can share some photos!
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:17 pm

@CallaLily wrote:According to the conversion online, the first cage is 22.8 inches x 12.5 inches. That's a little larger than a 10 gallon tank. Confused  So that wouldn't be too small for one male according to our calculator.  The wire spacing might be a little bit too wide though.

10 gallon tank (20 inches x 10 inches) each would be perfect or you could makie bin cages for cheap, if either of those are available to you.
Whoops, you are correct. When I did it I looked up "58 cm" and it converted to 1.9 feet, but I guess I automatically saw the 1 foot and thought "Nope, Crittertrail size" lol. I guess that's what I get for posting at 1 in the morning.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top