Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

Post by muisjes on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm

I just got a young male mouse and am housing him in a 20 gal tank. It is well decorated but he looks soooo lonely. I have an old 1.5 year old female and was wondering if she could be his tank mate? No way should she have a litter as she never had a litter. Are they fertile till death?

muisjes

Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:51 pm

I believe there would still be a chance she could get pregnant. Plus even if there wasn't I don't think it a good idea to put a young male mouse in with an old female mouse as he would probably try to mate with her and not leave her alone and that wouldn't be fair to her. Male mice need attention from their people. Try spending more time with him.

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 pm

No, definitely do not put them together! They can become pregnant at any age, and at an older age it is extremely risky and stressful for a mouse to give birth and raise babies. Your male will be okay as long as you are interacting with him daily. If he seems lonely, maybe try to take him out more, even if it's just for an extra few minutes, he will enjoy it. You can also make him a "fake friend", one of my boys really enjoys his fake friend and carries it everywhere with him, there's a tutorial I believe on the DIY section. If your female doesn't have a friend, consider introducing another female to her, as females definitely should not be alone. Good luck with everything! Smile

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 am

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:No, definitely do not put them together! They can become pregnant at any age, and at an older age it is extremely risky and stressful for a mouse to give birth and raise babies. Your male will be okay as long as you are interacting with him daily. If he seems lonely, maybe try to take him out more, even if it's just for an extra few minutes, he will enjoy it.

This! Try spending more time with him and give him a lot to do. Switch up toys more often, rearrange his setup, give him new tastes and textures to explore.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Fine

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by muisjes on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 am

Thank you all. I agree with the replies. Just wanted to double check Smile

muisjes

Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top