Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

What day do they open their eyes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What day do they open their eyes?

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:54 pm

I happened to get a mouse that was pregnant. She has had her babies and this is day 12. Some of them have wandered out of the nest, but Mom put them back. They were covered in white fur and looked so cute. Eyes still closed.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What day do they open their eyes?

Post by Peachy on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Eyes usually open between days 12 and 14. How big is the litter?

Congrats on babies, that's so exciting!! Any pictures to share? Ear wiggle

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:31 pm

I have two females who came home to me pregnant! They both had their babies about the same time. I am a little put off by the pet shop not separating the "daddy" from the women. But I think it didn't matter to them, as they were probably to be snake food. So I rescued these sweethearts.
Nevertheless, I am excited!
Since they both gave birth about the same time, and right now have their babies apart, will they know their own babies after they are walking around. Seven came out today, but the Mommie sent them right back in to the nest. She even picked one up and carried it. On day 27 I will be separating the boys from the girls. I plan to keep them all. I have 4 cages ready. I hope I don't have too many boys or I will have to relocate some of them. Boo hoo. They all look healthy.
My old girl (for whom I got these new ones) has been acting as Gramma and seems to be happy about the newcomers.
I have printed out the picture to identify boy from girl, so wish me luck!

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

About separating the babies

Post by essentiallysue on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am

I have a question for you. If one litter was born a day or two before the other, when I go to separate, I am afraid I won't be able to tell which baby belonged to which litter, (if they're walking around) will it be harmful if I separate the bit younger babies too soon?
Do you have any suggestions? Neither litter is coming out to walk around yet, but the mothers look alike and I don't want to take out one group now in case I get the wrong mother. Am I confusing anyone as confused as I am???

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 pm

separating them 2 days early would be better than leaving them in two days longer. so separate at 4 weeks on the nose from the date the first litter was born. just supplement the newly weaned boys with a little extra protein, like mealworms, scrambled egg, or cooked chicken.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am

Today is day 17. I have cute little mousies following Mommie around, squeek, squeek. I think there are about 20 babies. The second group hasn't come out yet. Do they know which is their own kids??

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:50 am

Interesting question... Since the nests are mixed (they're mixed right?) and the babies likely all smell the same because they're most likely being nursed by both of the moms, I imagine she'd probably just think of them all as hers. Laughing

Edit: Here's a read about communal nesting (and it brings up a reason we so often discourage it!): https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160512142906.htm
However, as the females cannot identify their own offspring once they initiated cooperation, they would have to kill the other females' pups before they give birth themselves.

Last edited by Peachy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a link)

Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:08 am

I don't think they are "mixed" yet, as one group is a few days older than the other because they have their eyes open and the other doesn't. This all happened at the pet store and, of course, they didn't look pregnant when I bought them.
My concern is that when separating them as male and female, will the second group be weaned too early and perhaps Mommie hasn't taught them to eat and drink yet at that time. Should I move the second Mommie and her kids to another cage now and wait a couple more days to identify her boys from girls? Or, should I just leave them alone?

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 am

@scaredymouse had good advice about just separating all the males at the same time. It's actually okay to separate males at 21 days, but that's drastic, rarely needed, and not recommended unless Mom has back to back litters or something. Moms start to wean once eyes open and babies start eating solid foods. A day or two before 28 days wouldn't make much difference.

If you really want to move one litter, though, I think it would be safest to move the litter whose eyes are open. Move as much of the bedding from the old cage (and the nest) into the new cage as you can so they have a familiar "home" smell.

Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 pm

I think there are about 20 babies. Many are running around the cage and nibbling at Mom's food dish. I noticed in the second litter that one is a tiny runt. There is also a very large one! All the rest seem about the same size. Is there anything we can do for the little runt?

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Poor baby runt!  I had one in my litter too, he's stayed pretty small.  I made sure to give him first access to high protein extras like eggs, chicken and worms.  If he looks healthy otherwise, i would just make sure he's getting food and doesn't have to fight it.  Once their eyes are open, they want to eat everything!  Just take him out by himself and let him eat whatever he wants ❤

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top