Stinky Little Mouse

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stinky Little Mouse

Post by seamischica on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 am

Hi everyone!
My mouse, Granola, has been a bit stinky lately and my parents are getting annoyed. Granola is a male mouse, only 4 months old and I find that I have to clean his cage everyday! Which I think is too often, but I can definitely smell him if I wait any longer. I use pine shavings for him, and every time I clean it, I replace all his bedding, wash off his wheel and other furniture, food bowl, water bottle, etc. He will actually pee and poo on his water bottle and wheel and practically everywhere, except in his sleeping hut. Is this normal?
I've heard that neutering a male mouse helps his pee odors, but I'm not sure if I want to do that to him, any ideas/suggestions on that?
I have also heard of litter box training them, which didn't work for Granola very well.

I love Granola a tun, and would really appreciate any suggestions  Smile  
Thanks!  Very Happy
seamischica

Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stinky Little Mouse

Post by CallaLily on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:30 pm

It is pretty normal for a boy mouse to mark things. Unfortunately doing full cleans every day will only make things worse. Definitely clean his wheel off daily. And you can wash a toy or two daily if he has a couple he really wees on, but don't wash them all daily. Having things that still smell like him should cut back on the amount he's marking.  There's more tips on odor here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t36-cleaning-odor-and-bedding.

Also diet can play a role in smell, so take a look at what you're feeding. Filtered water can help a little too, instead of tap. You could also try investing in an air purifier.

Here's info on neutering: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#32.  It's risky and doesn't always help much with smell, so I personally wouldn't recommend it just for that reason.

Hope this helps. Smile

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by seamischica on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks CallaLilly! 
I never even thought that I could be cleaning it too often Worry
I will definitely try these things out Smile 
I'll let you know if things get better or worse.  Thumbs Up
seamischica

Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Its not your fault, I though the same thing when I got my mice! Very Happy

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

View user profile https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

It's an understandable mistake to make. You would think more frequent cleaning would help with smells but it just tells those little guys "quick, mark up your territory again so everyone knows it's yours!"

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 am

Hi, I've had my male mouse, Mickey, for over a year now. When I first got him he smelled absolutely terrible! But through time, I believe as he became more comfortable, the smell has almost disappeared. I only get a whiff of it once in a while. Do you have your boy in a cage or a tank? If you have him in a cage, try moving him to a tank instead as it will help in containing the smell. Also, I don't believe pine shavings are safe for rodents. Aspen is safe. I use the paper bedding, Carefresh. Hope that helps, keep us posted. Oh, and I use bottled spring/drinking water for all my rodents.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 am

According to the bedding page kiln dried pine is safe, but if it's not labeled as kiln dried you definitely want to avoid it. Aspen is usually considered safest out of wood based beddings. Though paper based has the least risk of all.

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 pm

@CallaLily wrote:According to the bedding page kiln dried pine is safe, but if it's not labeled as kiln dried you definitely want to avoid it.   Aspen is usually considered safest out of wood based beddings.  Though paper based has the least risk of all.

Thanks CallaLily, I wasn't aware of the kiln dried pine bedding. I appreciate the clarification Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by seamischica on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks guys!
I will check my shavings right away, hopefully they are kiln dried!!
Also I have a 10gal tank for him, it's not as big as I wanted it to be, but I figure I can always upgrade it if I find another one. 
Just another question, do any of you use vanilla extract/essence in your mouse's bedding? I've read about putting a few drops on the bedding to take a bit of the smell away, but not sure whether it would be safe of not...
Thank you for you advice! Smile Very Happy  Heart
seamischica

Angelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malcolm on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:19 pm

If you want healthy happy mice, expecting to clean less than once a day is not possible. For cage bottom, we use 2 sheets of plain newspaper over 1 sheet of brown paper bag. The entire bottom is just smooth paper. The mice love it. We tried fluffy stuff, but they spent more time on the smooth sections.

Mice will tend to pee in a couple of areas. Here we put more paper, but most importantly, that piece is very small, just big enough to cover the area. As soon as we notice smell, someone pulls out the old piece and puts in a clean sheet. It only takes a few seconds, and no smell. People coming to our house cannot smell "pet". With less frequency we change out the poo'ed on sheets. Our mice will not excrete anything overnight. From about 12am to 8am their cage is totally clean.

Everyone loves to pile on 4 inches of fluffy bedding, but at best it only hides the smell for a very short time. Once the urine ages, the smell gets much worse. Plus you have to look at all the poo, and that can't be good for the mice either.

Malcolm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Hey. I had the same problem with my male, Danny. He was so, so, so smelly! But they can't help that.
I would suggest a paper-type or granule bedding, as that stuff is really absorbent and should help with the smell for at least a week (can't remember how long it helped for my male).
And also get an odor neutralizing gel beads container. I personally really like the Fresh Linen smell. But those beads are supposed to absorb some of the foul odor in the room, I believe. Another thing you could do is, when you clean his cage (once or twice a week should be good), you should give him a toilet paper tube roll, and, knowing he'll potty on it, save that thing for his other-wise totally cleaned cage, so he still has some of his smell in it and hopefully won't feel the need to mark his cage too much in so short a span. Smile
I've also read that putting a drop or two of vanilla in their water is supposed to help...I tried that, but I don't think it helped me, just sayin'. And another thing I've heard but haven't tried is sprinkling some baking powder on the bottom of the tank. Might help?
And @seamischica, I don't recommend pine, cedar, or aspen wood shavings. I think those can give your mouse a respiratory infection or lice/mites. :/ So, I wouldn't even bother with the kiln-dried or non-kiln-dried.
And another thing: A ten-gallon tank is perfectly fine for one mouse. It's great for two, also. On the Humane Society Web site, it says 10-gal. tanks can hold 1 - 3 mice. And I have three girls in mine.

@Malcolm, hi there!
You say your mice don't excrete overnight... That is awfully weird in my opinion, lol. =)
If you have any questions, feel free to 'post away' and create your own threads, too! (I was given that advice, so I figured I would pass it on right here and now, seeing as you haven't posted an introduction yet, which is fine, but mind me asking how many mice you have?) Love
All my blessings,
~Blessed

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:16 pm

I have 9 boys in 9 separate cages. They have no bad smell at all. Here is my secret. My husband used to smoke in the house and I used an air filter, purifier, for the smoke. It helped with that, so I figured it would do the same for the mice smell. I run it on "low" all the time in their little closet, and it works miraculously.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Just FYI, this thread is almost 4 months old. Smile

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Since two other people responded to it today, I thought my suggestion might be helpful. It seems a lot of topics are started a long time ago, CalaLily. Isn't that OK to continue them?

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything to add to an old thread. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the age of the thread and that, according to their profile, the OP hasn't logged in since just a few days after they made the first post.  So any advice passed on may not reach them or may not even be needed any longer.

Edit: I did find this in the Forum Rules:
No posting in topics over 3-4 weeks old unless you have something important to add. Topics in Mouse Memorials will be locked after two weeks.
Exceptions to this rule: This rule does not apply for sticky topics or topics in Member Lounge. Stickies are denoted with an exclamation mark icon. Due to the array of topics in the Member's Lounge, it's up to you to use common sense to determine when to bring back a topic.
I'm not sure it fits in this case, but thought I'd add it for future reference.

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum