Stinky Little Mouse

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Stinky Little Mouse

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm

@Blessed wrote:Hey. I had the same problem with my male, Danny. He was so, so, so smelly! But they can't help that.
I would suggest a paper-type or granule bedding, as that stuff is really absorbent and should help with the smell for at least a week (can't remember how long it helped for my male).
And also get an odor neutralizing gel beads container. I personally really like the Fresh Linen smell. But those beads are supposed to absorb some of the foul odor in the room, I believe. Another thing you could do is, when you clean his cage (once or twice a week should be good), you should give him a toilet paper tube roll, and, knowing he'll potty on it, save that thing for his other-wise totally cleaned cage, so he still has some of his smell in it and hopefully won't feel the need to mark his cage too much in so short a span. Smile
I've also read that putting a drop or two of vanilla in their water is supposed to help...I tried that, but I don't think it helped me, just sayin'. And another thing I've heard but haven't tried is sprinkling some baking powder on the bottom of the tank. Might help?
And @seamischica, I don't recommend pine, cedar, or aspen wood shavings. I think those can give your mouse a respiratory infection or lice/mites. :/ So, I wouldn't even bother with the kiln-dried or non-kiln-dried.
And another thing: A ten-gallon tank is perfectly fine for one mouse. It's great for two, also. On the Humane Society Web site, it says 10-gal. tanks can hold 1 - 3 mice. And I have three girls in mine.

@Malcolm, hi there!
You say your mice don't excrete overnight... That is awfully weird in my opinion, lol. =)
If you have any questions, feel free to 'post away' and create your own threads, too! (I was given that advice, so I figured I would pass it on right here and now, seeing as you haven't posted an introduction yet, which is fine, but mind me asking how many mice you have?)  Love
All my blessings,
 ~Blessed

I've heard baking soda/powder is not good for rodents. It can cause respiratory problems. So I definitely would not recommend that at all.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:51 am

@CallaLily wrote:Just FYI, this thread is almost 4 months old. Smile
Oh! I didn't realize that, lol! Thanks for telling me, @CallaLily. I just saw it in the Latest Topics, so I figured it was newer. =P

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malcolm on Thu 07 Dec 2017, 5:37 pm

We have 3 female mice which came from the local humane society, one larger white and 2 smaller brown ones. We were told they came from a lab, so they are not super tame. There are 3 wheels in the cage, and they run most of their waking time. We constantly remove the excrement, this is a near zero smell house. Overnight we remove the wheels and put in about 4 egg cartons. They explore them for a little while then go to bed. There rarely is any p the next morning.

Malcolm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum