Can mice have Mental Disorders?

Go down

Can mice have Mental Disorders?

Post by Veganboi on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 pm

SO, as a person myself with ADD, recently ive been watching one of my mice and her behaviour kind of strikes me as odd.. shes very repetitive. (ive never had mice before, so i dont know what to expect) but for example:
When i handle her and put her in an open space, she just chooses to run around in circles, very repetitively.
Or how she chooses to do more circles around her bin cage despite there being enrichments for her activity.

Basically, haha, is this just a mice thing? maybe its a stress thing..
but it got me thinking of whether mice can have such things as an Attention Deficit Disorder, or even anxiety disorders, bipolar, etc.,

(just for the sake of curiosity)

thoughts?

Smile

kale mudpie chia

Hearts Hearts Hearts Hearts Hearts
Veganboi

Aries Insomnious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can mice have Mental Disorders?

Post by CallaLily on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Not sure if this is what you mean by circling, but there's info here on waltzing and circling behavior in mice and the causes: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#41. There's a video too.

Is that what she's doing?

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Fyi, yes they can.  Sure they can get depressed, senile, and get ocd... And I'm sure other disorders.  However, circling is usually due to a neurological disorder, check out the link  in the post above.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veganboi on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:05 am

[quote="CallaLily"]Not sure if this is what you mean by circling, but there's info here on waltzing and circling behavior in mice and the causes: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#41.  There's a video too.

Is that what she's doing?

[/quoted]

Thats exactly what she is doing!!! Oh man, from what i can tell i can safely rule out an ear infection and stroke/injuries... she doesnt seem to tilt her head when she waltzes, but she definitely cant used a wheel very well! Shes always flying off, or hardly runs at all.
Shes definitely the most docile and least shy of all my mice so its sad if she has a neurological disorder...
Im not sure what i can really do about that... Crying or Very sad

kale mudpie chia

Hearts Hearts Hearts Hearts Hearts
Veganboi

Aries Insomnious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum