Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

The Making of a Bin Cage :D

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Making of a Bin Cage :D

Post by Mice Are Cute on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello, everyone! So, about a day and a half ago I thought: "Why don't I make bin cages for Biggy and Grayson!" I noticed how much better bin cages are than their current cages, and so I am going to make some. Since they are way too territorial I am going to make two. I watched this video as I was thinking about it:

Should I add something that wasn't in the video?

Bin cages are also better than aquariums to me, for two reasons: 1. They are cheaper! and 2. they are lighter. I am not the strongest person. Give me your opinion on the bin cages!

Last edited by Mice Are Cute on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Oops... wrong vid! :D)

Remembering: Rainbow Angel Blondie Obi (Hamster)

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Abigail and Scarlet (Silkie Chickens)
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

View user profile https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Making of a Bin Cage :D

Post by CallaLily on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am

I've used bin cages for hamsters without any problems. But I've only used them temporarily for my mice. The first time I had no problems but this last time I moved the mice in there, I noticed they started to chew the bottom of the bin. Nothing major but definitely some teeth marks (on a flat bottom too!). Obviously that depends on the mouse but it's definitely something you want to check for on a regular basis.

I would never just tape the mesh on as the video suggests. That doesn't seem secure enough to me. I've always drilled some holes around the cut and zip tied the mesh in place. I also prefer cutting the ventilation on the lid instead of the side. It's just not as easy for them to get to and chew.

Personally I prefer glass tanks over bin cages. They're more secure, provide a clearer view, and just look nicer imo. But I know bin cages are lighter and cheaper and can work well. Especially for hams, since they require so much space.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 pm

I use bin cages for my mice and also my Syrian hamster. I cut the section of the lid out and put a screen wire across it. Only a few have ever walked the ceiling, so I secure the wire good. I do a few additional things to the bin. I drill a hole into the side and fit the bottle holder through it, using a screw and bolt. The makes the lid fit better, not to have the bottle holder over the edge. I also put holes in the sides and remove the stand from the wheels and put them in the holes. This gives me more room to add houses and sitting stations that I build with Jenga blocks and popsicle sticks and cardboard. I change these often so the little critters don't get bored. If there is any squabbling, I just change the houses and climbing things and they have fun, forgetting about squabbling. I have aquariums, but I don't use them because they are too heavy for me at changing times. I use them for stands under my bins and keep equipment in them.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! Bin cages sound great Smile I will not be giving an update until next week, when I buy the bin. Say goodbye to those little cages!

Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 pm

I am going to buy the bins today! Is there any tips you recommend when choosing the bins? I am very excited for some reason... Razz I will be sending pictures of the bins ASAP!

Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Look for bins with smooth sides/bottoms. Not as easy to chew that way. Pay attention to the size of the base not what's given on the label. The measurements on the label are of the biggest area - the lid. The base is usually a bit smaller. Make sure it's tall enough for your wheel to fit. A locking lid is nice, but you could always use heavy duty velcro to secure it if needed.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:10 pm

I am going to buy some that comes with lids that snap to the base. I already found a few with pretty much flat bottoms that I am considering. This is making fast progress! Very Happy

Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 pm

The top is cut, the wire is down, and the mice are in! In Grayson's cage I put some fresh bedding, mixed with some used bedding, so that he could feel comfortable. For Biggy, I put less fresh bedding because... um... I ran out of bedding Wacko

Anyway, I will be sharing pictures tomorrow, when I buy some stuff for the new cages, and they are complete. Grayson already spent a night in his cage, and since I was still working on Biggy's, he has only had about four hours in his cage. They already seem at home, and much, much happier! Very Happy

Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top