Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Soil Bedding and Allergies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Soil Bedding and Allergies

Post by Plazmotech on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 am

I just got back from a vacation, and I had my mouse boarded. I asked the shelter to please bond her with two others, and when I got them I also switched our Carefresh bedding to Soil. It was completely organic soil, and I baked it at 400ºF for one hour to kill off parasites. They seemed to really enjoy it, digging around and playing in it. However one of the new ones is now sneezing a lot.

I'm thinking it could have to do with the beddings. But Nibbles (my original mouse) had a URI before, which I treated with Baytril. I'm somehow concerned that maybe her dormant URI passed to my new mice, or that my new mice already had URIs. I'm getting her checked up on the 22nd, but until then, what should I do? Has anyone ever heard soil causing allergies before?

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Soil Bedding and Allergies

Post by CallaLily on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 am

I haven't read anything mentioning soil and allergy risks, but I imagine it's possible there could be something in the soil that's bothering them. Only way to find out for sure would be to switch them back to paper bedding and see if they improve.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top