Separating the babies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Separating the babies

Post by essentiallysue on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:32 am

I have to separate the boys from the girls tomorrow. I am worrying about whether the mothers will mourn the loss of their boys? I put them all in two separate cages today with one momma and the old lady in one cage with half the babies, and the other momma in the other cage with the other half of the babies. I don't know whose is whose, but tomorrow I will take out the boys and see how many girls are left. I would like to put the mommas together because they came together to me. I have three cages ready and can distribute everyone pretty equal.
Any suggestions? Wish me luck in deciphering boys from girls. I wish you could come and help me.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Separating the babies

Post by CallaLily on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am

Good luck! I think things like this are much harder in our eyes than our mousey friends. And it's in their best interest.

The only other thing I'd add is the boys really should each be in their own space. When they're very young they can do ok, but it won't be long before they're fighting over territory.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:37 am

Yes, I have plans for them to be separate, but I am hoping there aren't too many. I have never had a boy mouse and am looking forward to it. The pet shop would put them together anyhow, so that's not an option.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:19 pm

I know how you feel... I hated having to separate the boys from the girls & their momma. They were all so happy together and my human heart just broke ripping their little family apart. But honestly, they didn't seem to care at all. And separation it's hard wired into their DNA. Males want to leave the nest and establish their own territory.

You can still keep the boys together for another 2 weeks if you want to, but at the six week mark, they will all need their own tanks.

After you have the boys removed, you can mix the mom and the baby groups any way you want after that.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Thank you both for your replies! I tested my skill tonight with the babies and couldn't determine what many of them were. So, tomorrow, another try, with three containers - the boy, the girl, and the I Don't Know. I have a clear bottle to put the little critter in and a flashlight to use to look. They weren't thrilled about me picking them up tonight! So I'll try this. Let you know how it goes.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:57 am

Well, I tried. They all looked like girls to me. I only found one boy that I was sure was a boy. So, I found a exotic pet hospital that will do it for me on Monday. When I counted again, it will be 28 days on Monday, so I hope it is not too late. Let you know what they decide.
By the way, did you know today is International Homeless Animals' Day.?

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 am

I just got back from the vet. She was nice and checked everybody twice. It turns out I have 11 boys out of 20 babies. I put the girls back in with their Mommas and the old girl. The boys are in a cage together. No squabbles yet. You say I have 2 weeks to place them before fights break out? I will begin calling tomorrow and see what pet shop will take some of them. One of the babies is a runt and the vet wasn't sure but thought it was a boy. It is in with the girls and I am supposed to check on it everyday. She doesn't think it will live and couldn't impregnate anybody at this time. It was quite an experience!

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 am

How long the boys manage really depends on them. But sooner or later they will start to fight.  

I know it's not easy to set up 11 separate mouse houses. Maybe bin cages are the way to go in this situation. Any bin around the size of a 10 gallon tank (20×10 inches) will work, and they're usually pretty cheap. A big roll of metal hardware cloth isn't very expensive either.

I hope you're able to find homes for as many as you need. Please keep checking back in to let us know how they're doing. Smile

CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:19 am

I checked at all the pet shops around our area and my boys won't be going there! They put all the boys in one cage and sell them for snake food. Of course, if they would fight here with their brothers, how much more would they fight in that situation.
So, I bought tubs at Target, and am cutting holes in them for the wheel and the water bottle. Ordered a bunch online. Now, I am making their little houses and sitting stations out of cardboard and Jenga blocks with popsicle sticks. These are going to be happy boys (and girls) as long as they live.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:31 am

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to order bins to make cages with. I know it must be tough finding good homes. If you're on facebook, maybe look into joining a good mouse group that would allow you to put up an ad? I can't remember which one it was (and I'm not a member anymore) but that's where I found Celyn and Rina.

CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 am

I have one little boy, "Bolt", who has been running in the wheel nonstop since 6:30 this morning! (It's 11:10 AM). He hasn't stopped yet!

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am

when i had my accidental litter, i really got lucky.  Georgie had 10 babies, only 3 of which were boys!  There was nowhere for me take them where they would find a good home, plus i was already in love with them and too protective to trust anyone with them.  So i kept them all, my critter room is a mess and it smells like mice.  I have 17  mice right now and i love them all.... But I'd like to get back down to like 3 girls and 1 boy!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 am

Scardy, you are scareing me! I have eleven boys and 9 girls, along with three adult females. The girls and their mommas are separate, the old 3 girls are separate, and the boys are still together. I have 5 little cages for each boy as they start to chase and make another squeal. (One is by himself already), by two more weeks they all will be separate. I hate to take my beautiful, healthy boys to a "chop shop". I have trained them to eat a wonderful diet, one they won't get anywhere else. Tell me if I am crazy, or if I can survive this. Once I had dwarf hamsters, two of which came to me pregnant. I kept them all and only could place 4. It was a circus in my closet with cages hanging everywhere. Eventually, they died one by one in the next two years. I will keep trying to find some of them homes, but I ain't gonna kill them.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:14 am

it's manageable but its a mess.  I manage 8 mice tanks right now... Bins are even easier to clean though.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am

it's manageable but its a mess.  I manage 8 mice tanks right now... Bins are even easier to clean though.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next