Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Females mounting each other??????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Females mounting each other??????

Post by Plazmotech on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 am

I adopted two new girls recently. One of them is trying to mount the other two, constantly fighting and bickering, but I'm 99% sure its a female! The ladies at the shelter said so, and she looks like one. Do females just mount each other????

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Females mounting each other??????

Post by GGMouseCare on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:42 am

I had this problem as well. When I introduced 2 new mice to my cage of 2, things got out of hand. When my two female mice "mounted" each other, I googled it. Easy way out, right? Anyway, the results I found were normal. Mice of the same gender "mount" each other to establish dominance. However, if this gets out of hand, I hope you keep a close eye on this.

Take my mice as an example. When I put the new ones in for sure, (after days of bonding time) there was still some issues. Mice typically like to establish what is most commonly referred to as "the pecking order." It basically tells you who is in charge, and who's at the bottom of the ladder. Females tend to typically be less agressive, unless she is protecting her offspring.

As for the picture you have linked, I'm quite sure that is a female. You can identify this by
1) Seeing if your mouse has testicals or not, and
2) Observe how far apart the anus is from the rest of the "stuff." The male mouse has a genital area much further away from the anus than a female. Also, a female will have that bump. Quick fact; that's the urethra. (Look at me, getting all scientific!)

I really hope this helped! Keep me updated, especially if they are still fighting. Give them a few days to sort out their differences. However, if one draws blood or seems to be injured, separate them RIGHT AWAY. We don't want anyone getting hurt.
Best of wishes!
- Greek Girls Pet Mouse Care
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

View user profile https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:39 am

Yes, she's female and mounting is fairly normal especially in the beginning. As GGMouseCare said, it's a dominance thing. Another way to verify sex is female mice have nipples, males do not. Just keep a close eye on them. As long as no blood is drawn, let them work it out. Smile

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks guys! I separated them into two cages until she settled down. I think she was in heat. After she was calmed down several hours later, I connected the two cages back up and they seem to be getting along nicely. Thanks!

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GGMouseCare on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Glad it worked out! Wink
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

View user profile https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 pm

I know this was posted a couple of months ago, but I caught Lydia, one of my mice, doing that just once to one of my other girls. Very disturbing to see two females looking like they're mating. I just thought it was because she wanted babies, lol.

Oh, aren't we blessed? =)
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Brooding

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top