Possibly pregnant?

Go down

Possibly pregnant?

Post by hesitantbullets on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:39 pm

So I recently purchased two new mice from the pet store by my house. They were meant to be feeder mice, and so the males and females were not separated. I probably should not have purchased mice from here because of that fact, but it's too late now. I didn't think the mice were pregnant but a few people on here told me they looked like they might be after I posted some pics. I am very worried because I am not prepared for baby mice to come into my care. I only really have the means for the three mice I currently have. Basically, I'm stressed and don't know what to do. Can anyone offer some insight?
hesitantbullets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Possibly pregnant?

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

Well, if they were housed with male mice they are unfortunately probably pregnant. In a perfect world, each female would have her own tank to raise her babies privately. But if you don't have the means... you don't have the means. It's a terrible predicament. Earlier this year, I brought home an accidentally pregnant female, but I had the means to keep all the babies and enjoy the process.

In your case, you will do the best you can. You have a few options that I'm going to lay out for you and they aren't great. You can take the mice back. Awful, I know. You can let it play out and let them have the babies in the one tank you have. But oftentimes, this doesn't end well for the babies. Sometimes the mothers will cannibalize the babies in these situations. But also sometimes, everything works out. But at 4 weeks on the dot, boys and girls HAVE to be separated. You can either take them back to the pet store but that means they will be snake food. You can try contacting rescues to see if someone will take them. You can advertise them on craigslist but again, they may be snake food. Not a lot of people are in the market for pet mice. If you plan to return them to the pet store, you will need to contact them right away to alert them that you will be back in 4 weeks and how peached you are that you got pregnant mice.

We won't judge you here. But pregnant mice are a risk no matter where you get them from, but especially feeder mice.

So, tell me when you got them and what size tank they are in. I'm not sure what you situation is but assuming they are pregnant... if you are able to even get your hands on one more 10g tank, it would really help your situation. You can check on craigslist for a used one maybe. It would give each mouse her own birth space and then an extra tank to put the boys. Boys have to be separated at 28 days but can stay together at least 2 more weeks. It would buy you some time to find them homes if you go that route.

Let me know if you have any questions. Many of us have been through this before. Some of us enjoyed the experience but many people were in the position that you are. The only way to really know if they are pregnant is to weight them daily, if you have a little scale. And of course, if they get rounder in the belly, that is a pretty good indicator. When my mouse was pregnant, she felt very heavy in the middle. It's hard to explain but she "felt" pregnant. I was sure of it.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hesitantbullets on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. The girls are currently in a 10 gal tank (there's three of them in there, two of which are possibly pregnant. I also have two small cages (think kaytee critter trails size) and one more 10 gal that's broken at the bottom but I may be able to fix, I would just have to get a lid.
hesitantbullets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm

the moms should be in tanks, little babies can try to squeeze out of the bars on the cages and get stuck.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hesitantbullets on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

Yeah that's what I thought
hesitantbullets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:02 pm

when you get a chance, you can read through our breeding packet.  It will tell you everything you need to know about mommas and babies https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hesitantbullets on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

Okay thank you! If you have any other advice please send it my way
hesitantbullets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 3:50 am

everything you need to know is in that document i linked above.

just use this as a learning experience.  Whenever bringing home female mice, there is always the possibility of pregnancy.  Also, as Peachy mentioned in another thread, new mice should go through quarantine to make sure they aren't sick and aren't pregnant before introducing them, it also helps ensure that they get along.

there is one more thing that i should discuss with you, and that is culling the babies... But that is a sensitive topic, so i will message you privately about that in the next day or two.  Then you can decide how to best deal with your momma mouse situation.

this is why we hate pet stores so much.  I remember being so angry that i was sold a pregnant mouse.  It's a huge burden and as an animal lover, impossible not to love those babies.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down