Which wheel?

57% 57% 
[ 4 ]
43% 43% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 7

Saucers or Mesh?

Post by WinterWhisker~ on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 am

Which type of wheel do you like best? Mesh wheels, or saucer wheels? Both have different pros and cons, so I'm excited to see what the overall favorite is! Confused

WinterWhisker~
Jr Member
Jr Member

Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Saucers or Mesh?

Post by CallaLily on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 am

If I could only choose one I would go with the saucer. It's a more natural position for them to run in, easy to clean, quiet, all of my mice have enjoyed them, and they can run together just as easily on them. I know many feel they take up too much room, but it's easy enough to build a MES for them to sit on so no space is wasted.

My mesh wheels are great too but I find they get terribly squeaky if I don't grease them well with coconut oil every week. Where the saucers stay silent practically on their own. That's the main downfall with mesh wheels, imo.

But luckily I don't have to choose just one wheel, so I prefer to have both and give the mice the choice. Smile

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:25 am

I think for me it depends on the mouse. Colin actually loves his comfort wheel best of all and has never worked out how to use a saucer...but he does love his big mesh wheel too.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 am

I'd go with mesh. I already kind of do, I don't think anyone has the saucers in their cages at the moment. lol I think it's easier for them all to play on the wheel at the same time. You know, one of my colonies is a bit bigger so they have three wheels, but all eight of them prefer to pile onto one wheel rather than split up. Don't think they'd manage on a saucer. Shake head  Teehee

Years ago I bought a comfort wheel for one mouse specifically, and she wouldn't touch it! She didn't like the solid back or something. As soon as I gave her a mesh wheel she was running away on it. Then, last year I gave it to my current girls and they chewed off the knobby part that held it together... and it fell apart. Guess they didn't like it either. lol

Becky's Girls: Becky, Soong, Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, Petunia, and Posey
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Yoko, Cora, Dulcie, Dandy, and BumbleBee
Boys: Yoshi, Frog, and Mika
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WinterWhisker~ on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I think I'm going with a saucer wheel. It doesn't take up as much space in my tank, and I've heard that it is good for multiple mice. I am definitely considering getting a mesh wheel later on, to switch out. Thanks for the suggestions!

WinterWhisker~
Jr Member
Jr Member

Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anilec on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 pm

I personally use the silent spinner wheels, the mesh ones aren't great for their feet if they run on it a lot and I've heard horror stories of rodents who got their tails cut or broke their legs on mesh wheels. Also the solid wheels are more quiet Wink
Anilec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WinterWhisker~ on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:21 pm

@Anilec

Actually, mesh wheels are perfectly safe for mice. It's the barred wheels that are dangerous. Mesh wheels give the mouse the ability to grip the wheel if they make a sudden stop, whereas the plastic ones will fling the mouse off. If you oil a mesh wheel often, it will be just as quiet as a plastic wheel. I also think the 6.5 silent spinner is too small, because they don't make a 7 or 8 inch one.

WinterWhisker~
Jr Member
Jr Member

Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frankmouse on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 pm

WinterWhisker~ wrote:Which type of wheel do you like best? Mesh wheels, or saucer wheels? Both have different pros and cons, so I'm excited to see what the overall favorite is! Confused

i would always do saucer. mesh wheels are dangerous to tails. my friends mouse mini had a mesh tail and it gave a burn type scratch to minis tail. i have also heard nails can get caught. and saucers and silent Smile

frankmouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WinterWhisker~ on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 am

frankmouse wrote:
WinterWhisker~ wrote:Which type of wheel do you like best? Mesh wheels, or saucer wheels? Both have different pros and cons, so I'm excited to see what the overall favorite is! Confused

i would always do saucer. mesh wheels are dangerous to tails. my friends mouse mini had a mesh tail and it gave a burn type scratch to minis tail. i have also heard nails can get caught. and saucers and silent Smile

Actually mesh wheels are perfectly safe for mice. It's the barred wheels that are extremely dangerous. The mouse that hurt it's tail on the mesh wheel could have been too big for the wheel, causing its tail to get hurt from the wheel.

WinterWhisker~
Jr Member
Jr Member

Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anilec on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm

WinterWhisker~ wrote:@Anilec

Actually, mesh wheels are perfectly safe for mice. It's the barred wheels that are dangerous. Mesh wheels give the mouse the ability to grip the wheel if they make a sudden stop, whereas the plastic ones will fling the mouse off. If you oil a mesh wheel often, it will be just as quiet as a plastic wheel. I also think the 6.5 silent spinner is too small, because they don't make a 7 or 8 inch one.

Hm personally I disagree. You could have mesh wheels for years and never have a problem but the chance of a little meeses getting hurt on the metal bars at the sides of the wheel is too common for me to risk it. Broken limbs, broken backs, cut tails etc. Also even though it's rare I'd worry too much about bumblefoot. I'm not sure about all plastic wheels but mine has a textured running ground so your pet shouldn't slip. Oh, and don't forget that the silent spinner comes in a 12" size as well as the 6.5"

This isn't meant to come off rude so I hope it doesn't but just to share my opinion in response to yours Smile
Anilec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Anilec wrote:
WinterWhisker~ wrote:@Anilec

Hm personally I disagree. You could have mesh wheels for years and never have a problem but the chance of a little meeses getting hurt on the metal bars at the sides of the wheel is too common for me to risk it. Broken limbs, broken backs, cut tails etc. Also even though it's rare I'd worry too much about bumblefoot. I'm not sure about all plastic wheels but mine has a textured running ground so your pet shouldn't slip. Oh, and don't forget that the silent spinner comes in a 12" size as well as the 6.5"

This isn't meant to come off rude so I hope it doesn't but just to share my opinion in response to yours Smile
I suggest reading over this discussion well: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t152-why-are-mesh-wheels-safe

There are arguments to just about all of the dangers you are listing. Really, they are no more dangerous than any other plastic upright wheel. Bumble foot in mice is extremely rare, and when this rare occurrence happens, I haven't heard of mesh wheels being the cause. Bumble foot in mice is usually caused by walking on a mesh floor or platform for a very long time.

I actually found an interesting document on bumblefoot written by a veterinarian here: http://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/bumblefoot_pododermatitis_in_rodents.pdf

Also, hamsters can get bumblefoot from mesh wheels, and it happens often, but I haven't heard any cases of bumblefoot from these wheels in mice. Not sure why, but hamsters are a lot more prone to bumblefoot, and people often think that mice are this way too. Including the mice I have now, I have had 14 mice, and they have all been given mesh wheels, I have never seen any injuries from them. Smile

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top