Less active? Or just getting old?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Less active? Or just getting old?

Post by Mice Are Cute on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm

I have noticed that Biggy has been a bit less active and sleeping more these past few days. He is eating and drinking normally, and his breathing is fine. He notices me, and knows everything that is going on around him. His eyes are clear, there and there are no lumps on his body. He is definitely not in pain. I'm am thinking it is just old age catching up to him, but I really wanted another opinion! Thanks!

Mice: Biggy and Grayson
Tail Flip  Tail Flip  Jump Hearts  Tease Mouse29

Remembering: Rainbow Angel Blondie  (Sweetest mouse ever!) 

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Obi ( Hamster) Abigail and Scarlet (Silkie Chickens)
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Bookworm

View user profile http://rodentexpress.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Less active? Or just getting old?

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:42 pm

how old is he?  Also, depending where you live, if the weather has started cooling down, it's possible that he's slowing down with the change of the season.  even though they never go outside, i find that they slow down  in the fall and winter.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

He is a little more than a year old. (Is that old?) It is still kinda warm where I live, so I don't think that's the problem, but it is getting colder.

Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:42 pm

A 2-year lifespan is probably average for most pet shop mice, though a lot die earlier from things like respiratory infections or tumors or other illnesses. Fancy mice from breeders might live longer, or at least are less likely to die younger due to bad-genes things like tumors.

I'd keep an eye on Biggy (such a cute name!) to see if he becomes even more sedentary than he already is, just in case he is developing a not-readily-obvious illness (I've had mice grow internal tumors, for instance, and one had congestive heart failure - these all caused them to not want to move  around much.)
On the other hand, he might just be deciding to take it easy in his maturity. I've noticed some of my girls hit middle age and essentially 'retire' from things. One became quite reclusive in her nest box - happily so. It was just where she decided she liked to spend 80% of her time! But she was healthy and happy just lying around all day. Laughing

I hope Biggy's doing the retirement thing, not working on illness! Good luck!

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Teramis wrote:A 2-year lifespan is probably average for most pet shop mice, though a lot die earlier from things like respiratory infections or tumors or other illnesses. Fancy mice from breeders might live longer, or at least are less likely to die younger due to bad-genes things like tumors.

I'd keep an eye on Biggy (such a cute name!) to see if he becomes even more sedentary than he already is, just in case he is developing a not-readily-obvious illness (I've had mice grow internal tumors, for instance, and one had congestive heart failure - these all caused them to not want to move  around much.)
On the other hand, he might just be deciding to take it easy in his maturity. I've noticed some of my girls hit middle age and essentially 'retire' from things. One became quite reclusive in her nest box - happily so. It was just where she decided she liked to spend 80% of her time! But she was healthy and happy just lying around all day. Laughing

I hope Biggy's doing the retirement thing, not working on illness! Good luck!

By the description of one of your girls "retirements" I am really thinking its that! He is still quite happy, and is just a bit more slowed down. I also fell in love with the name Biggy Love Thanks for the help!

Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:21 am

I would watch it. People have a tendency to look for reasons why a sick mouse is ok. Drinking and eating is not usually a sign until a mouse is really quite ill. I wouldn't base a mouse's health on the fact he's been drinking and eating. Lethargy is the biggest sign IMO.

Some mice do get bored of their regular toys or became less avid runners so it can be hard to tell what is really going on but if they are just never active anymore that is a bad sign.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top